How tight is 6 Nm?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Young Un

My carbon fibre seat post arrived today and I would like to fit it for tonights TT. However, in the instructions it says to only aplly 6 Nm to do it up, so how much is that?, I have got a torque wrench but it only goes down to 50nm and so isn't useful at all.

Cheers
Steve

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Can't you set your torque wrench to the amount you need?

And don't you mean UP to 50nm?

Tynan

Veteran
tee hhe, use a metre of wrench and hang .6Kg off it

I think, check the metre and the 0.6KG but you get the idea

I do my carbon seat post up as tight as I can with my multitool, it's never occured to me to worry about how tight

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Hmmmmm.... imagine a spanner 30cm long then if you hung two bags of sugar from the end of the spanner when the spanner was horizontal and attached to the bolt, that would be pretty close to 6Nm

Andrew

yello

6nm is bugger all. Go easy.

Use the smallest spanner you can find (i.e. length, not bolt size!) and DO NOT heave it up tight. You'll have to go by feel but I reckon to aim for just as it bites/starts to stiffen and a just touch more.... but feel is everything here, do not be tempted to over-tighten.

It's a seat post so you'll be able to gauge very easily if it's too loose! Just gently does it until the post feels secure.

Edit: just dawned on me; seat post, it'll be a hex bolt in all likelihood. That's allen key territory. Same theory but you'll not need to be quite so gentle, allen key's flex a little so you'll be able to give that more beef. Surprised Tynan is brave enough to give it full welly but it's obviously ok!

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
if it cracks then you've gone too far.

Seriously, size of tool/length will make a difference, what feels like a lot of effort with a tiny allen key will feel like nothing with a longer lever arm.

I keep seeing the NM recommendations but have been loathe to spend ion a torque wrench. Going by feel at present, will probably break something at some point though:blush:

jimboalee

MacBludgeon said:
if it cracks then you've gone too far.

Seriously, size of tool/length will make a difference, what feels like a lot of effort with a tiny allen key will feel like nothing with a longer lever arm.

I keep seeing the NM recommendations but have been loathe to spend ion a torque wrench. Going by feel at present, will probably break something at some point though:blush:

It how you use it. :smile:

Top Bottom