How to attach panniers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SteveParry

Guru
I hope the photos work! I think these may be front panniers - not sure... But I can't figure out how to attach them. I want to attach to my rear rack - see photo. There are no clips only one strap at bottom of each and the velcro'd together pair have two rings on each presumably for attaching at top. But if they are meant for the front perhaps this is unwise/dangerous? Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks, Steve

Photos: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pkaslbjyfyxciht/AADfrTlfmNkeLmoDdWJHsMm8a?dl=0

sidevalve

Über Member
Have used 'throwover' panniers on both cycle and m/cycles for many years with no lower attachment and had no probs. If they stay put at 70+ I reckon they'll stay on a cycle too. As long as there is nothing to get tangled in the wheel then can't see a problem [assuming they can't just slide off the back] I just use a couple of bungees on the top of the rack to keep them in place. Try them for a while [just the tape the straps out of the way] and you may do as I ended up doing - just cutting the straps off.

I think that the strap on the bottom is to fix the bottom of the rack for stability

My only concern would be how secure the "poppers" are after all this time

I would also would place a bungee or similar over the rack to ensure no slippage

Top Bottom