How to behave when a big group of fast cyclists catches up with you.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

albion

Guru
When my health was recovering I rode with one of Northunberlands biggest clubs for a little while.
It really helped in a few ways but I do recall the AGM meeting and its enforcement/encouragement of wheel sucking as etiquette.
Work had got going so I took the hint and moved off, it not being me, not that much ever is.

The voices meant well, in that they wanted progressing riders moving to A rides to be ready trained. Clubs are a mixed bag with certainly some nice people. You also have to realise a fair few riders are running at full capacity and thus with fairly failing faculties.

Baldy

Über Member
Did you give a "Slowing" signal to the following riders?

Why should he? He wasn't part of their hurd.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I have got the impression that cyclists in groups, of whatever kind, get into a herd mindset and have a tendency to ride badly or even agressively. This seems to apply at every level whether a genteel CTC ride, a group of youths, or serious racer types.

For clarity I, think this is instinctive behaviour for groups of monkeys, us humans included, and cycles are incidental

I completely agree with this. That leads me to ask what I would do in any situation if I suddenly found myself surrounded by a group of hyperactive monkeys; the answer is I would get myself safely out of their way and let them annoy/endanger other people.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
As a couple of others have noted, as a courtesy I'd have shouted 'stopping' and signalled this before the junction (a sort of pushing hand down). And then it would be up to the group to have responsibility behind.
There is no perogative to do this but the question was asked.
I ride both solo and in groups and polite communication is always helpful. The potential is another "them and us' groups versus solo. There are AHoles of all description

Jameshow

Veteran
I had a similar experience over to hebden bridge where a group of 4 caught me as we crested the hill, so I hopped on the back and stayed with them until HB, they were kind enough to point out the dangers on the road etc. Impressively welcoming. 👍

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have experience of large numbers of people all with the same interest.
The upcoming music festival, a couple of car rallies, yachting events and a cycling event.
They all tend to exhibit a herd message “ get out of my way” and you are expected to obey.
Vandalism, theft and some damage to property is expected.
The cycling event was best behaved but even so complaints came in about road behaviour.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
The club i lead rides for make it clear regarding safety and hand signals and indicate hazards by hand signs and voice dependant on the situation, its down to the group to be aware of hazards and other road users .

wheresthetorch

Dreaming of Celeste
Wouldn't know what a "slowing" sign is.

Highway code:
bike-arm-signal-slow-stop.jpg

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Did you give a "Slowing" signal to the following riders?

He was approaching the entrance to a roundabout, not a pothole. The riders following him should have been well aware he'd have to stop or slow down significantly.

Try telling your insurance company you drove into the back of someone at a roundabout but it was their fault for stopping and see what answer you get.

DogmaStu

Whilst it is nice to voice or sign your intentions, the onus is upon the Group to pass you safely regardless of your actions. You are not expected to know Group / Club / Peloton etiquette albeit there is an argument for Highway Code hand signals being used. Still, no excuse from those behind who should be constantly aware and not relying upon them.

I've passed countless solo and other group riders as part of a group over the years and never once experienced an issue where we never took on full responsibility for ensuring we passed safely for all and any cyclist who rides in a group is pretty poor at bike handling etc if they allow themselves to be taken by surprise by a solo rider slowing or stopping ahead of them!

Groups have to be aware of the riders in front and around them because sudden swerves, stops etc can happen - dog running into the road, etc.

DRM

Guru
For what it is worth, these idiots should have twigged that, A) You might not be as quick as them, B) You haven't been briefed on the way they give signals or warnings, C) You might well not be heading in the same direction as them. they rode like Richard Craniums and cocked up, the only time I've tagged on to a big club run was in Brittanny, the ride leader & assistant shot off like a rocket to an oncoming roundabout and plonked themselves in the middle of the road blocking any oncoming traffic so that we could all as a group go across the roundabout unhindered

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Thank you, that was my take, but it sounded like they expected me to behave as part of the group. They seemed to be riding in a very tight bunch, and I think me stopping nearly caused some of them to hit the deck. Is there a signal that I might have given to avoid the confusion?

I have shown vehicles behind a flat palm to suggest they don't overtake me and my bike, it usually works. Not sure about a big group of cyclists though

Top Bottom