How to behave when a big group of fast cyclists catches up with you.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dadam

Nah, feck 'em! They should be aware that other folks on bikes not part of the group won't be aware of their etiquette and in any case might do something unpredictable. Not that stopping when coming up to a roundabout is exactly the work of Nostradamus! :rolleyes:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I have got the impression that cyclists in groups, of whatever kind, get into a herd mindset and have a tendency to ride badly or even agressively. This seems to apply at every level whether a genteel CTC ride, a group of youths, or serious racer types.

For clarity I, think this is instinctive behaviour for groups of monkeys, us humans included, and cycles are incidental

Tbh while I don't do herd mentality, my cojones certainly grow immeasurably when riding and I'm not shy of vocalising my thoughts when in the saddle.. I think to an extent it's a natural consequence of the exercise-derived adrenaline and perhaps defensiveness in the face of vulnerability in the face of poor choices by road users.

Retrospectively my behaviour can range from empowering to embarrassing. I'd suggest that not too much is read into it; you make your decisions and deal with the consequences - worst-case the OP's behaviour added a few seconds to the knobbers-in-questions' segment times.. and was neither inconsiderate nor dangerous so I'd not lose any sleep over it.

Last edited:
Hopefully they were swearing at the folk on the front of their group not you @C R . They should have anticipated the situation and communicated back in the group (hand signals and shouts). They are the only folk potentially in the wrong. I prefer not to rely on the front of the group myself as folk make mistakes and forget things but some groups blindly rely on the two in front.

I suspect there was a certain amount of "I can't be expected to stop as I'm clipped in" going on as well

I have heard this when I have stopped in front of someone on a "proper" road bike occasionally

In my opinion it is the cycling equivalent to "I can;t be expected to stop as I have my foot on the accelerator" would be in a car
If they can;t stop properly due to the equipment they have on their bike then they shouldn;t be riding that bike on the road!

But certainly the OP should not have been expected to ride in any way that a normal person going for a ride on a bike would do as opposed to someone who is part of a cycling clique with their own expectations and policies

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I treat them like I'd treat a motor vehicle. Keep a good bit of road available on the left so I have some escape space in case of a close pass. I'm quite assertive about protecting my road space. I try not to let myself be bullied. A call of "on your right" meaning "get into the gutter while important cyclists pass" will not cause me to change my line.

When the rider who I think is last in the group passes I'll sometimes ask "are you the last?" just in case there's another bunch on the way.

I do not use any cycling-specific signals or calls or anything like that - as I might if I was part of a group. There's no guarantee they'll understand. I use standard left/right turn signals as just as I do for any other road users if I happen to be turning but that's it.

Oh, and if a complete stranger thinks they're being helpful by calling out "clear" to me at a junction - they're not. I'll be the judge of whether a road is clear or not.

Last edited:

Solocle

Über Member
I had a similar experience over to hebden bridge where a group of 4 caught me as we crested the hill, so I hopped on the back and stayed with them until HB, they were kind enough to point out the dangers on the road etc. Impressively welcoming. 👍

I had one going back to Leeds from Otley the Menston way. Was riding this bike, so got caught up by a little group.
4WV78v6N21NNxQMB-6i9NPoe7V7Vx1GVRMQt1cQo-2048x1536.jpg

They let me join for a bit, and were impressed I was keeping up with them once I was in the draft :smile: .

DogmaStu

I suspect there was a certain amount of "I can't be expected to stop as I'm clipped in" going on as well

I have heard this when I have stopped in front of someone on a "proper" road bike occasionally

In my opinion it is the cycling equivalent to "I can;t be expected to stop as I have my foot on the accelerator" would be in a car
If they can;t stop properly due to the equipment they have on their bike then they shouldn;t be riding that bike on the road!

But certainly the OP should not have been expected to ride in any way that a normal person going for a ride on a bike would do as opposed to someone who is part of a cycling clique with their own expectations and policies
Hmmm, I wouldn't think so.

Clipless pedals were invented in 1895. They've been around for some time. Toe clips even earlier.

I used toe clips and cleats in the 1980's and got my first modern quick release clipless in 1988.

In all that time I've never heard anyone suggest they can't stop - or don't want to - because they are clipped in. It is far easier with a modern clipless pedal than it used to be with toe clips - back then we had to reach down and loosen the straps first!

Clipless is easy and zero issue for stopping and starting again. Sure, like toe clips that preceded the current quick release systems, there is an initial learning curve over flats but after a few rides its second nature. In fact, you don't actually need to be clipped in to pedal - they do work as flats too if someone is concerned at a stop street. They can ride off and clip in later.

Clipless pedals were invented in 1895. They've been around for some time. Toe clips even earlier.

I used toe clips and cleats in the 1980's and got my first modern quick release clipless in 1988.

In all that time I've never heard anyone suggest they can't stop - or don't want to - because they are clipped in. It is far easier with a modern clipless pedal than it used to be with toe clips - back then we had to reach down and loosen the straps first!

Clipless is easy and zero issue for stopping and starting again. Sure, like toe clips that preceded the current quick release systems, there is an initial learning curve over flats but after a few rides its second nature. In fact, you don't actually need to be clipped in to pedal - they do work as flats too if someone is concerned at a stop street. They can ride off and clip in later.

I have seen a couple of videos - and it was even said on a TV programme - where someone was justifying cyclist not stopping at red lights and at roundabouts (etc) as he was clipped in so it was difficult (i.e. he didn;t want to) put his foot down to stop

purely the argument of the entitled

but I have heard it said - although not in person as I don't tend to associate with that kind of person!

and I expect the argument has been used ever sincebikes were invented - toe clips, straps and clips are just used to justify a bad argument when the entitled person wants to have "facts" to support his (normally - could be her) behaviour

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

That's very true. I used to actively avoid putting a foot down when I used toeclips as they were a (minor) faff to re-engage. Not so with clipless.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
At this point there was a lot of swearing from the group behind me, several riders went around me through the roundabout in front of the car, and there were several comments of displeasure about me having stopped. The comments were not directed at me, but meant for me to hear them.

Are you sure it wasn't the back of the group moaning about the front of the group not warning them about the roundabout.

I had a group catch us at a roundabout when I was out with the OH, about a 1/3 of them came past and turned left, some were then level on my right, and some behind us. I very loudly announced "we're going straight across",. I think one of the group had to do a 450^ around the roundabout and take the 5th of 4 exits^_^ as he couldn't then pass behind us as the rest of the group did.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Interesting, I don't do the group cycling thing. Don't do groups full stop. Sometimes cycle with a friend but find it hard to keep up with her. Wouldn't know what a "slowing" sign is. Don't give anything other than left or right turn to any other road user.

Nor me (do the group thing)

I assume you are a driver who has not read the Highway Code ;)

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Re the slowing sign: I know what it is, but I don't think I've ever used it or seen it used.

I thought it was one of those strange anachronisms that have hung around like it being illegal plant petunias on a Wednesday in Shrewsbury or stuff like that.

DogmaStu

I have seen a couple of videos - and it was even said on a TV programme - where someone was justifying cyclist not stopping at red lights and at roundabouts (etc) as he was clipped in so it was difficult (i.e. he didn;t want to) put his foot down to stop

purely the argument of the entitled

but I have heard it said - although not in person as I don't tend to associate with that kind of person!

and I expect the argument has been used ever sincebikes were invented - toe clips, straps and clips are just used to justify a bad argument when the entitled person wants to have "facts" to support his (normally - could be her) behaviour

Entitled people exist in all walks of society; they aren't specific to one group. Happily, they are very much a minority and not reflective of the vast majority.

For every one cyclist using clips as a reason not to want to stop there will be thousands who don't even think about it. Hence why it is alien to me and cycling in several countries, in countless groups, I've not heard it used before.

Top Bottom