How to buy a touring bike...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I read it, and to be honest, I didn't see anything that controversial. I think the author is very clear in saying it's his opinion, or that there are no absolutes given different people.

E.g. I'd use a steel or alu frame, I'd use an mtb based tourer or a purpose tourer, I'd use 26" or 700C wheels..... Each have their own advantages/disadvantages -and I think he points that out.

Maybe I'd have disagreed on the person who wanted the couplers -but then again, the author had a point, and if you really do do a lot of touring and have the money, why not?

Guess I just didn't find it that controversial!

GrumpyGreg said:
http://www.adventurecycling.org/resources/BuyersGuide2009.pdf

discuss the slaughter of various sacred cows.....

Lights blue touchpaper and retires

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
caused rolling of eyes and foaming of mouths amongst my local circle of super-conservative CTC touring friends who all know that

only steel is real
Ali is for cooking turkeys
26" wheels are for kiddies bike
flat bars give you carpal tunnel syndrome
disc brakes are for motorbikes
suspension makes you impotent
if it isn't a a Thorn, a Dawes or a Mercian, or a whatever it isn't a touring bike
etc.
etc.

I thought it a well reasoned and very excellent article but then I ride an ali framed disc braked....

I think there's only one thing I disagree with there.
I don't believe someone that's never bought a touring bike should just order a bike without trying it first. It's OK for people that have owned a few bikes before and know what they need, but for a beginner time spent physically with an expert (not online, in the shop) is time well spent. It needs to be a good shop, too, not somewhere that wants to sell them what they have in stock.

willem

Über Member
Well, it is a piece that reflects US conditions, where good bike shops do indeed exist, but not everywhere. If there is no decent local shop, going to a good online retailer that you can talk to over the phone is better advice than going to a questionable local shop.
Beyond that, I thought the advice was uncontroversial and sound. My own preferences are often a bit more tradtional, but that is what they are: personal preferences.
Willem

Top Bottom