how to change mobile phone handset?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
I have been given a secondhand smart phone handset.

I currently have a basic pay-as-you-go phone on Orange/EE network

my question is: how do I transfer everything to my 'new' handset? I'd like to keep the same number and same pay-as-you-go contract too.

I only use about £10 credit per year so definitely no need for a monthly contract!!!

cuberider

Über Member
Your number stays with the sim. Make sure to save contacts to sim. Everything else can be sent by bluetooth.

Levo-Lon

Guru
On the sim card thing...my old samsung and All the data . Was told simply put sim in new samsung and transfer info ,oh ok thanks..
ah the NEW phone has a new size sim...why do they make a tiny sim smaller..
pet hate of mine is bloody smart phones..

good luck OP if the provider has a shop near by or you know a 5yr old id try that first..

albion

Guru
Best order a Sim cutter to fit the old Sim in the new phone. About 99p on ebay, or you could cut carefully with a stanley knife.

Warning, turn the mobile data service off on the new smartphone otherwise all your credit will be gone in minutes just by doing nothing !

Turbo Rider

Just can't reMember
Just a thought and a slight deviation, but you may need to upgrade your services ever so slightly to enable 3g / 4g / wi-fi on your new phone, if you've never had them before...or you might just need to call your provider to download settings if you're already paying for services you've not been getting...or they might just work already anyway...or you might not want those options anyway. Aside from that, do what they said & enjoy your new phone :smile:

classic33

Leg End Member
its as simple as putting sim card to new phone, everything is on the sim card...as long as the new phone is opened to all sims or at least locked to EE, before you do this go to old phone and export all numbers to the sim, this will allow you to import all your contacts to the new phone....
An EE SIM will not work in an Orange/One2One branded handset. Or vice versa.

When I changed phones the new one took a smaller sized SIM I just took it into a high street independent shop and they cut it with what amounts to a big hole punch for free.

screenman

Legendary Member
I have a smart phone for work, but I use a small Samsung flip when on the bike.

Got caught out recently as I though I had£15 on it, seems because I had not used it for 90 days this gets taken off. It would have been nice if they had let me know first.

classic33

Leg End Member
I have a smart phone for work, but I use a small Samsung flip when on the bike.

Got caught out recently as I though I had£15 on it, seems because I had not used it for 90 days this gets taken off. It would have been nice if they had let me know first.
Ask for it back. They only removed it to protect you from misuse.

screenman

Legendary Member
Ask for it back. They only removed it to protect you from misuse.

I tried that admittedly for me it was a bit half heartedly, seems Ofcom give them permission to do it.

A letter has been sent.

More the point, if the phone had been needed.

Top Bottom