How to check a used Carbon bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSK

Whilst there is no doubt a lot of great used bikes out there of all types, there are also sellers preying on the vulnerable.

There is a bike local-ish to me, that's twigged my interest but its carbon. Are they any special checks one needs to do for Carbon framed bikes to prevent being lumbered with a lemon and spending what you paid for the bike on potential repairs.

I can only think of visual checks for any suspect hairline cracks, signs of patch repairs over and above the usual.

Drago

Legendary Member
Check it very closely for visible damage.

Ride it and carefully listen for any undue creaks etc.

Then enjoy it. Properly cared for it's as tough as anything else.

Reactions: DSK
Make sure the seat post is moving freely. It’s possible to get something called ‘galvanic corrosion’ if a metal post is used in a carbon frame. It’s a PITA to free a seat post that’s stuck, for this reason.

OP
OP
DSK

DSK

Perfect advice thank you! I hadn't thought about the creak during a test ride or knew about the seat post.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Like any secondhand item, bear in mind previous use will have consumed some of it's useful working life, so don't pay too much. The whole point of buying anything used is to get a greater percentage of remaining useful life than the percentage of the new price, otherwise you might as well buy new. Fortunately, bikes almost always depreciate like a stone, so unless you buy spectacularly badly, you will always get more bang for your buck, so long as there aren't any nasty hidden surprises.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Check the usual things like the bottom bracket and crank wear plus the head bearings, don't know what replacement availability might be like.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Seat post - certainly check as you may need a visit to 'The Seatpost Man' if not.

He's just removed a stuck dropper post on a colleagues carbon MTB.

Cycleops

Legendary Member

Isn't this the guy that cuts carbon frames in half to reveal the horrors that lurk underneath?

davidphilips

Veteran
Isn't this the guy that cuts carbon frames in half to reveal the horrors that lurk underneath?
Not sure Cycleops, dont think its the same person? may be wrong? Have seen this guy looks very similar showing some hidden horrors,

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZbg5hCRyvs
, Think for myself if buying another bike/frame it will be titanium or steel. Actually i am starting to think it is the same guy?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
would you also agree with me that press fit bottom brackets are lets just say not for me?

To put it bluntly, press fit BB's are a shite idea and are specified purely for the convenience & financial benefit of the manufacturer. They don't care once they have sold a bike and banked the money. It's the owner that has to put up with the creaking noises and hassle involved in replacement, not them.

Top Bottom