How to Check If Frame Is Bent

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Perry

I'm about to make an insurance claim for my bike after a crash with a milk float (please don't laugh I'm getting loads of stick off my mates).

Anyway, All I can see is that the rear wheel is damaged.

How can I check if the frame is damaged in anyway?

If it is, I can get a new bike :blush:

Any advice?

yenrod

Don't worry mate - I crashed onto a skip once !

Well it as dark :blush:

asterix

Comrade Member
Accident damage can be very hard to see and if your bike took a hard knock, I'd definitely try for total replacement. It's not a scam: both my LBS and I missed a tiny dent and very slight bend in the down-tube after the bike was T-boned by a van. Like you, I thought only the back wheel was damaged but the frame damage came to light when it developed a crack, months later.

domtyler

Über Member
I would not personally ride a bike that had been hit by a van. I would write it off and go for a replacement. We're only talking a couple of grand at the absolute most, most probably a couple of hundred quid. It simply is not worth the risk.

What make/model is the bike?

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

domtyler said:
I would not personally ride a bike that had been hit by a van. I would write it off and go for a replacement. We're only talking a couple of grand at the absolute most, most probably a couple of hundred quid. It simply is not worth the risk.

What make/model is the bike?

It's a Ridgeback genesis Day 02 it costs £750 about 5 years ago.

Mr Pig

Perry said:
How can I check if the frame is damaged?

You could make sure it is!

A friend of one of the guys at work had his TVR Chimera rear-ended with a van. He wanted rid of the car anyway as nothing on it worked right, let in water, electrics were crap, engine didn't run properly. He mentioned this to the recovery truck driver who came to pick the car up and he said 'No problem mate, I'll push the back end in a bit more with the Hiab, bend the floor a bit and it'll definitely be a write off.'

Personally, I wouldn't lie to an insurance complany but it's a tricky one. Even if you can't find any damage will you ever be totally confident that the frame is ok? Arn't you entitled to peace of mind? Just a thought...

OP
OP
Perry

Perry

I took it to Halfords at the request of Direct Line.

Yep, it's bent alright.

The bike has been written off.

Waiting for Halfords to fax the details over to Direct Line, then Direct Line will call me to say how much they will put towards a new bike.

They said it will be Like For Like so I have to see what they will offer me.

Mr Pig

Perry said:
They said it will be Like For Like so I have to see what they will offer me.

If they apply the same rules as they do with cars their first offer will be lower than you need and should be rejected. They just hope you'll be desperate enough to take it and save them money.

Top Bottom