How to convert your road bike to SS/Fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Seleucid

Regular
Good stuff. My single speed is based on an old Puch Pacemaker. I recently added mudguards and a pannier....I must be building a single speed tourer by error!

vb17_val

Is there a way for me convert a SS/fixed gear bike into a bike with multiple gears? I have a Fuji Declaration and I really want to convert it, but it doesn't have a spot for a derailleur hanger, what can I do besides reselling?

mangid

Guru
Is there a way for me convert a SS/fixed gear bike into a bike with multiple gears? I have a Fuji Declaration and I really want to convert it, but it doesn't have a spot for a derailleur hanger, what can I do besides reselling?

Could you go with hub gears ?

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
If you're choosing a frame for conversion, something with decent clearances and a long top tube that needs a short stem to fit you (more weight on the rear wheel) is far more docile than a track bike or even a converted road racing bike. MTB frames are great if you can get one with horizontal dropouts - On-One's Inbred used to come in a version with track ends, and some skip find Raleigh MTBs will have forward-facing horizontal dropouts.

I do love my track bike but I have to be constantly on my toes if I use it on the road: massive toe overlap (you learn to point your toes up for tight slow speed turns), nervy quick steering and a tiller-like 130mm stem that means I could lift the rear wheel under panic braking.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
"Fixie" sidesteps this.

Top Bottom