How to convert your road bike to SS/Fixed

Discussion in 'Fixed Gear and Single Speed' started by Psyclist, 13 Feb 2013.

1. Strathlubnaig

Strathlubnaig Veteran

Interesting. I was thinking on trying to convert an old mid 80's BSA bike into a fixed, so this may be a good overall guide.

2. Seleucid

Seleucid Regular

Good stuff. My single speed is based on an old Puch Pacemaker. I recently added mudguards and a pannier....I must be building a single speed tourer by error!

3. vb17_val

vb17_val New Member

Is there a way for me convert a SS/fixed gear bike into a bike with multiple gears? I have a Fuji Declaration and I really want to convert it, but it doesn't have a spot for a derailleur hanger, what can I do besides reselling?

4. mangid

mangid Veteran

Could you go with hub gears ?

5. Landsurfer

Landsurfer New Member

Just done LEJOG... one of our team rode the whole way on fixed ... we are unworthy ...:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator: 12 Sep 2018
    gaijintendo likes this.
  6. rogerzilla

rogerzilla Veteran

If you're choosing a frame for conversion, something with decent clearances and a long top tube that needs a short stem to fit you (more weight on the rear wheel) is far more docile than a track bike or even a converted road racing bike. MTB frames are great if you can get one with horizontal dropouts - On-One's Inbred used to come in a version with track ends, and some skip find Raleigh MTBs will have forward-facing horizontal dropouts.

I do love my track bike but I have to be constantly on my toes if I use it on the road: massive toe overlap (you learn to point your toes up for tight slow speed turns), nervy quick steering and a tiller-like 130mm stem that means I could lift the rear wheel under panic braking.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice