How to deal with corrosion spots on a cromo frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Thread resurrection!

I've been polishing the corrosion off every few months but there's gotta be a better way to deal with it.

The main problem area is on the back of the seat tube where it meets the BB and chainstays, and where the BB meets the downtube (picture in the 1st post). I thinking of painting these two areas with enamel or something. I know it won't last forever but it's gotta be easier in the long run than the current method. Question is.... will the paint stick?

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

More clear coat?
clear coat lacquer doesn't seem to stay on long... and i can't really tell when it's gone. I'm thinking of fluorescent orange (to match the frame stickers) which at least I'll be able to monitor and refresh when required.

Drago

Legendary Member
Dip the frame in a solution of oxalid acidnto completely remove the rust and reduce its propensity to reappear.

Then either keep it well coated with Auto Balm, or get it clear older coated.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

resurrecting my thread again... the rust is returning harder and stronger every time i try to tackle it. I think I've polished off the nickel plate.

The current plan is to get rid of all the rust and paint the vulnerable area with hammerite or plasticote or something (not lacquer because it doesn't stay on long and i can't tell when it's gone). Since it's around the bottom bracket and quite tricky to get to every last spec of rust, can i get away with painting over the little tricky to reach bits of rust, or will it continue corroding under the paint?

midlife

Guru
Just out of curiosity, that nickel plate looks very silver looking, BITD nickel plate stuff had a faint yellow tinge to it. I wonder if modem nickel plate is different?

Give up. Your local powder coating outfit will take it back to the metal for you and powder coat it in the colour of your choice for about sixty quid. I just had this done, it looks brand new.
DSC_0066.JPG

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Barkeeper's Friend and a toothbrush.

Top Bottom