How to deal with corrosion spots on a cromo frame?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
got a few patches of corrosion around my BB....

corrosionbb.jpg

it's a lacquered shiny chromoly steel frame...
is it just a case of getting all the rust off with emery paper and wire wool, then touching up with lacquer? Or will that make it worse in the long run? (the emery, not the lacquer)

any tips or advice appreciated :rolleyes:

Last edited:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Are you sure its not chrome. Get some pictures up.

if its chrome then you can clean up but it won't be a first class job

L14M

Über Member
There is many ways, do you want to do it on the cheap?
If so then wet and dry paper will take most of it off, and then prepare it to be re sprayed. As with above it looks chrome so would need to be re dipped. That would mean the whole frame should be stripped back..
Liam

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
it's lacquered chromoly... not chrome plated (I think anyway... it's shiny but not that shiny)

I've edited the OP with an actual picture of my rust on my bike :smile:

and here's the spec sheet for the bike (although mine's a couple of years older than that one, being a '95 model)

Attachments

• corrosionbb.jpg
    corrosionbb.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
it says nickel finish.. not sure if that's the same as nickel plate.
The only way to nickel a frame is to electroplate it (quite common on classic racing motorcycles) I'd try Solvol Autosol and a toothbrush then WD40 it to protect.

winjim

Smash the cistern
With Autosol you only need a teeny tiny amount. And don't worry about it turning black - it's supposed to! I used it all the time back in the day when bike parts were all chromed. We even use it at work to clean parts of mass spectrometers.

If you plate an 'L' shaped object the material being plated onto the object struggles to get into the inside corner - it's because the two sides are asking for chrome/nickel/gold/whatever from the same small area of solution. Plating always goes on thin in areas like this. And you can't just leave it in the tank for longer because you end up with too much everywhere else. It's why bicycle frames are rarely plated, it's considered to be an inferior finish to paint or powder. Another longer term issue is that the chrome/nickel/steel sandwich in the presence of road salt will accelerate corrosion of the steel. It's not unheard of to have the steel eventually rust away completely in certain areas leaving just an outer shell of chrome that you can stick your finger through. Particularly cheaper steel. I've seen a couple of lovely old 60's Moultons that died this way.

In answer to your question ... fine wire wool and re-laquer it. You might have to repeat every year or two.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
update... Autosol worked an absolute treat... :thumbsup:
Glad to hear it mate as a nickelled frame does look very good (much better than chrome I think) just stay on top of any future spots and keep the cleaning down to a minimum & reapply WD40 after a wash. It may also help longevity if you get the chance to spray some down the inside of the frame tubes whenever its apart for servicing/replacement of headraces, B.B or seatposts etc.

Top Bottom