How to deal with this roundabout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Instead of asking us, which is always a dodgy thing to do, try emailing (as Vickster said)

A- The council/highways
B-The Police
C-British Cycling

and ask them what their take is on it, then tell us their answers (if any)
I think it is worth asking CC, there may be another cyclist on here who deals with that roundabout or one similar and can give advice on how they tackle it. It's got me thinking about how I would deal with one like that if I came across it unaware of it's layout. Not saying that the OP shouldn't contact those as well though.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.7776801,-0.2581226,16z It's the roundabout B1238 and A165 with "Swiss Cottage" labelled on there.

Ah right. I used to cycle through another 'Swiss Cottage' each day (in London). It was awful too - cruel joke really as it sounds idyllic until you get there!

GrasB

Veteran
How to deal with that? As Glow worm said with loads of observation & balls of brass confidence in EVERYTHING you do - Hold primary like you own the lane. Signal like an order. Change lanes quickly like you have an absolute right to. If someone has a problem stare them down.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
How to deal with that? As Glow worm said with loads of observation & balls of brass confidence in EVERYTHING you do - Hold primary like you own the lane. Signal like an order. Change lanes quickly like you have an absolute right to. If someone has a problem stare them down.

This, but give it beans and be doing 25mph plus. Other option is to modify your route so you approach from another direction, if the roundabout has to be negotiated.

All depends upon your experience and fitness.

DWiggy

Über Member
If you are unsure then just take the path, much safer if you don't yet have the confidence. Not worth the risk!

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I think it is worth asking CC, there may be another cyclist on here who deals with that roundabout or one similar and can give advice on how they tackle it. It's got me thinking about how I would deal with one like that if I came across it unaware of it's layout. Not saying that the OP shouldn't contact those as well though.

That was tongue in cheek.....

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I'm just glad I don't have one like that, that I can think of locally. It may be a case of going, watching it and seeing what speed and amount of traffic there is. Lots of traffic moving slowly or very little (and not too fast) might not be too bad, could be a time of day thing. And watching to see other cyclists on the roundabout.

KneesUp

Guru
I'd ask the council. And in the meantime I'd do this:

roundabout.png

On the assumption that it will be easy-ish to cross the B1238 because there will be queuing traffic one side at least.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Be assertive, take the same lane as you would if driving, and as you approach the exit, and after exit, ensure your hand signals (that you wish to exit and then enter the inside lane as the double white line ends) are early and clear.
^^^ This.

Behave like a car. Except keep an eye out of artics and regardless of priority just let them do what they want

KneesUp

Guru
^^^ This.

Behave like a car. Except keep an eye out of artics and regardless of priority just let them do what they want

I ride my bike (on much quieter roads) like I drive my car on the same roads.

The problem is other drivers don't treat me in the same way when I'm on my bike. For example, I can only recall one occasion in over 20 years' driving when I've been driving through a gap where there isn't room for a car coming the other way to fit but the other car has driven towards me anyway, but it happens quite often when I'm on my bike. I can only recall one occasion when someone has deliberately got in the way of my car (a drunk bloke leant on my bonnet while I was a traffic lights - he fell over and walked off when I reversed) but I get people walking out in front of my fairly often on the bike.

You do get noticed less on a bike, because it's smaller. And drivers assume you will get out of their way even if there is no room to do so. Being assertive is all well and good, and something we should all do all the time - but never forget that ultimately, in a fight between a tonne and a half of metal and you on a bike, the tonne and a half of metal will win every time, and sometimes it's not worth the risk, even when you are 'right'.

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
Thanks again. KneesUP I think that is what I will do, using the pub's car park, unless they complain and I will just walk around on the pavement.

While I all for being assertive normally, the problem here is that cars who believe they own that lane, going at 40mph, either won't see me or will ignore me. I actually did the roundabout twice, once at 8pm and there was nothing on it, then again at 4pm and the stream of cars coming from the right meant I had to to pedal hard for a good while until I got a chance to slot in front of a car into the cycle lane.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Driving on those big roundabouts is bad enough but to cycle on them!:eek: There's one near me that leads onto the M62 but in 30 years i've never been tempted. It's safer to get off and walk then press the button to wait for the green man and the green bike to appear. In all the years i've only ever seen one cyclist attempt it!:ohmy:

When I saw that first time, I hadn't realised where it was. I've crossed that a few times.

I would enter on the right hand lane, as you would in a car, then, once past the Bilton exit, signal left and look to change lanes. Someone let's you in, or there's a gap, but I take the lane until I can move over.

If you like a challenge, have a bash at the Dunswell Roundabout. I'm not sure how to link maps, so I hope this works.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.7949958,-0.3691627,277m/data=!3m1!1e3

Entering from the south and heading east is tremendous fun! You need to stay out to be visible to those entering from the north, but you're then faced with people using the inside lane, while others grow impatient behind you.

Even going straight across, the lane you need doesn't exist until you're almost on the roundabout, so you have to take the other lane very early, then hold a lane on the roundabout while the cars on it are trying to shift lanes at 40mph+.

There is a cycle path on the east side of the roundabout, but where it joins the road, you can't actually see if anything's coming from the east, generally at 40mph+in order to cross the carrigeway.

It takes assertiveness to a whole new level.

EDIT

I forgot to say, all the above relies on being on a roadbike. Trying it on my mountain bike's a whole different challenge. I've no idea how they expect the bulk of cycle users to attempt that.

I think, once a road layout is changed or created, the designer should ride it several times in differing conditions, and produce a video of how they expect cyclists to use it, and pointing them at the cycle lanes is a secondary option.

Last edited:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've often thought I would like to get a traffic engineer to come out and ride with me, and see how they felt on the bits I consider slightly hazardous.

Top Bottom