How to deal with this roundabout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrynCP

Über Member
After cycling for six months I rarely come across scenarios that I cannot easily deal with.

However, a new route has led to me to this roundabout:

upload_2014-6-25_21-52-23.png

I approach from the top and want to be off at the bottom.

The problem is as follows: You enter the roundabout in the outside lane and you have to come off the roundabout in the outside lane too. The inside lane is only for traffic approaching from the right in the image above, and the two lanes are separated by double solid white lines. The busiest lane I would say is traffic coming from the right, so on my bike I am dumped into the outside lane with a steady stream of much faster traffic between me and the cycle lane! As tempting as it would be to cross the double white line, it wouldn't be safe as traffic approaching from there know they don't have to give way to the right as it's their lane, and so wouldn't necessarily even be looking for other traffic, i.e. me!

MikeG

Guru
Me? I'd get off and walk, using the footpaths.

Your mileage may vary, but so might your bravery levels.

avsd

Guru
Agree with MikeG or more preferable find another route. That roundabout is an accident waiting to happen for cyclists.

Is there anyway you can take the first left on the roundabout and do a right turn/U-turn on that road at lights or a mini roundabout to give you a safer approach to the roundabout

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Perhaps you could ride through the middle bit? :giggle: Just kidding...
As the others said, it doesn't look like a cyclist-friendly roundabout, best avoided.

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
Thanks for your replies - at least it's not just me thinking it's not friendly!

It's unfortunately not a shared path, there is no signage to that effect and there is a cycle lane on that road just metres after the exit, the only entrance to the lane is from the road, not the pavement. What you may be seeing as an arrow I think is a lamp post.

I can turn left, then cross the road from the pub's car park, this is the safest thing to put myself on the right.
Unfortunately from the North there is no other route except through the roundabout. I do actually approach this roundabout from the right on another route and it's pleasant not having to worry (much) about the other traffic!

vickster

Legendary Member
Contact your local council / councillor and suggest that they make provision for cyclists on the roundabout. I can't imagine there are hoards of peds using the pavement, suggest it becomes shared use

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Be assertive, take the same lane as you would if driving, and as you approach the exit, and after exit, ensure your hand signals (that you wish to exit and then enter the inside lane as the double white line ends) are early and clear.

MikeW-71

Veteran
That's a nasty one for bikes alright. I'd be looking for an alternate route to avoid it altogether. If I did have to tackle it, I'd be strongly tempted to walk round the footpaths and hop back on the bike after the roundabout.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Get an Airzound and blast your way through, berating any motorist who dares impede you.

...or stop being sanctimonious and ride round anticlockwise on that pavement; nobody will care.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Instead of asking us, which is always a dodgy thing to do, try emailing (as Vickster said)

A- The council/highways
B-The Police
C-British Cycling

and ask them what their take is on it, then tell us their answers (if any)

Reactions: _aD
Top Bottom