how to decide on what to wear wen going for a ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

recrider

Hi, how do you all decide on what to wear when going for a ride? Here in Birmingham temperature seemingly change from day to day and each day im either to hot or to cold. My colleague recommended using www.shalliride.com which helps but Im curious as to what you people recommend to wear at what temperature? At what temperature do you switch to short sleeves en shorts?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I stick my head out the door :smile:
This morning it was 6 c so i was bundled up, the return ride was a good 10-12 c warmer so the excess was in the panniers.

davidphilips

Veteran
Check the weather forecast, as cyberknight said check outside, If it looks sunny or forecast is sunny best wear sun cream, you can always take an extra layer off if it warms up, thats my way and still manage to get it wrong.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I look at my weather station any thing below 18c it's longs, but if there is a chance the temp will rise I will take shorts with me if it's going to be a long ride, nothing worse that to be over/under dressed.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
I look at the weather forecast on BBC and look out of the window.

Short sleeve tops this time of year with arm warmers, then when it warms up the arm warmers come off.

You can do the same for the legs, though this time of year I put up with the cold legs for the start and ride shorts. Legs soon warm up.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
i will be more precise
if i start off and its cool but forecast to warm up i might chance it with arm warmers and a packable gilet.
Saturday i did a century ride , left the house at 7.15 am so i was wearing the above but as the sun got going it got warmer so i shed the gilet which went into my jersey pocket, the arm warmers got pulled down and by the 1st stop those were taken off too.
I had 2 water bottles so when i emptied the 1st one i put the gilet and armwarmers in the empty bottle and swapped to a thinner pair of gloves i bought with me.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Look at forecast and look at what you’ve worn in similar conditions before, and whether you were too hot or cold. You’ll soon work out what works for you in different conditions

Last edited:

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Shalliride.com ?

YES!!!

UphillSlowly

Making my way slowly uphill
Hi, how do you all decide on what to wear when going for a ride? Here in Birmingham temperature seemingly change from day to day and each day im either to hot or to cold. My colleague recommended using www.shalliride.com which helps but Im curious as to what you people recommend to wear at what temperature? At what temperature do you switch to short sleeves en shorts?

Hello. I'm in Birmingham too. Relatively inexperienced. My OH started off with this spreadsheet from Stolen Goat. Can still take ages to decide. We are very different. She micro adjusts and often hates starting cold and removes layers within 5km. I hate faffing so will often just wear the same thing for the whole ride and put up with temperature fluctuations. If you Google it you'll find a wide range of opinions (see the posts from Sallar in Spain where they seem to wear bib tights up to 25 deg C)
stolen-goat-what-to-wear.jpg

Attachments

• stolen-goat-what-to-wear.jpg
    stolen-goat-what-to-wear.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 10

alicat

Legendary Member
I'm a bit north of Birmingham. I don't work by temperature per se. I stick my head out of the door and decide if it's warmer or colder than the last ride and adjust accordingly. I carry an extra layer just in case. Armwarmers, legwarmers, buff, lightweight long-sleeved jersey to put on top of short-sleeve jersey etc.

Jameshow

Veteran
Unless it's 25+° I usually ride with three layers a short sleeved jersey, long thermal jersey and a waterproof.

I can then strip off as the day goes in.

My saddle bag will carry any layers I take off.
6 pockets means you can carry a decent amount of food if required

If it's really cold I can put the waterproof on for added windproofing and feel like a Michelin man.

When touring I take a thermal jacket too which I wear in evening and at start of day when it's really cold.

Last edited:
Jeans excpet in summer - then shorts
cycling shoes that my wife bought me for Christmas - with overshoes if it is freezinf and wet and freezing

t-shirt alays
jumper/fleece if cold

now the difficult bit
2 hi-vis jackets - one newer and best in rain
otrher one is older and sleeves roll up better so better in warmer weather

in hot summer - thin hi-vis waistcoat thing

simple

hi-vis

Last edited:
Top Bottom