how to decide on what to wear wen going for a ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
This time of year, short sleeves and shorts. If you're feeling cold work harder.

Sometimes it’s not just a question of working harder for example if commuting in traffic, lots of stop-start etc.
We have no idea yet what the OPs rides entail

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
I only really do fair-weather outdoor riding nowadays - I'll spend the winter and rainy days on Zwift instead. Although I've got tights, bib-knicks and kneewarmers, I don't wear them nowadays.
I'll usually go out with a short-sleeve long-zip jersey, sometimes with a string vest underneath. Armwarmers and windproof gilet if it's chilly or if it's likely to get chilly - compact enough to roll up into a pocket.
I've got a tiny shower-proof jacket in my saddle bag.

Jody

Stubborn git
I dress in what I think is right and then see how cold I feel when getting the bike out.

Cold straight away = Add more layers
Not feeling any cold = remove some
Feeling a little chilly = just right given i'll warm up in 5 mins

As a rule over 20 degrees, baggy shorts and a thin top

10-20 degrees - base layer and a long sleeved top. Nearer to 10 and I'll use a jacket and thick socks

Under 10 - Bib longs under baggies, skull cap, glove liners etc

Freezing and below - as many layers as I can wear.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
This time of year, short sleeves and shorts. If you're feeling cold work harder.

That doesn't really work. If there's a chilly wind no amount of hard work will stop it blowing through clothing and chilling the body.

For myself once I get cold I get miserable, once I'm miserable working harder to warm up becomes very difficult because I'm suffering mentally.

Tomm Williams

My wife asks me this EVERY TIME we ride and she knows I tolerate cold far better than she does while she favors (and I hate) hot weather. But……. She rides with me every chance we get and she’s pretty strong so not sweating the small stuff.

DogmaStu

I'm not great with cold weather, I wear multiple layers of very warm clothing in Yorkshire's Winter.

At the moment it is 11C and going up to 16C and the Sun is shining so I have arm and leg warmers on and I'm debating adding a base layer under my jersey - plus I will only leave at 9:30am to let the school traffic die down and temp to go up a little.

My cycling kit wardrobe is a lot larger than my normal clothing wardrobe! :laugh:

Gwylan

Veteran
I'm not great with cold weather, I wear multiple layers of very warm clothing in Yorkshire's Winter.

At the moment it is 11C and going up to 16C and the Sun is shining so I have arm and leg warmers on and I'm debating adding a base layer under my jersey - plus I will only leave at 9:30am to let the school traffic die down and temp to go up a little.

My cycling kit wardrobe is a lot larger than my normal clothing wardrobe! :laugh:

My problem is Justin. I take too much justin case I need it

Jameshow

Veteran
I find spring / autumn hardest -
too cool for summer jerseys but too hot for l/s winter jerseys!
Have a couple of thinner l/s jerseys I must try!

Top Bottom