How to finally put a stop to cold & silent callers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Tricky when it's a recording!
Using 1471, does it give a number of the person/company who made the call?
If it did, use that as a first step in finding out who called & what for. If there is no number left, that's another offence being committed. This applies even if they are calling from overseas, acting on behalf of a company in the UK.

Night Train

Maker of Things
This is a good point and one I generally ascribe to, it's rarely going to be the chief/architect scumbag that's calling you.
I accept that they are often just people trying to earn a living and as much as I would like to scream and shout at the cold caller I don't. I am nearly always polite, asking them to not call me again and politely telling them I am hanging up.

However, one caller who was trying to get me to upgrade my mobile started going through his talk so I asked him to stop and politely explained that generally chose a phone in a shop and then call my provider to arrange an upgrade. The Cold Caller's reply to his was:
Caller: 'Arse!'
Me: 'Excuse me?'
Caller: 'ARSE!'
Me: 'That's not very nice.'
Caller: 'Penis!'
Me: 'I'd like to speak with your manager please'
Caller: 'Penis!'
Me: 'I have your number and you record your calls.'
Caller: Hangs up

I then call the number back and asks to speak with the call centre manager, to whom I asked if they routinely record the calls and then I explain the preceding conversation. The manager says I will be receiving no more calls and the caller will be sacked. I had no more calls from that company so I can only assume the caller was also sacked. :thumbsup:

if it's a PPI claim company, ask for their "Ministry of Justice number"

Legally all PPI claims companies registered in the UK must have a MOJ registration number to prove they are registered, ask for this (at which point many will hang up) and then you can use that to report them for nuisance phone calls.

ASC1951

Guru
I'm afraid I have a much simpler solution to all this. Cold callers are invariably 'out of area' 'international' or 'private caller' but unless caller ID shows me a number I recognise, I don't answer the phone.

D

Deleted member 26715

Although I do like the idea of wasting their time I was always told that the initial button that you press actually confirms that you have picked up the call. As such they know you are a real person and not just some defunct line or extension.
That is not true they know before you pickup that you are an active line. There is also a business in 'washing' call lists, this entails calling 1000's of numbers & the hanging up before anyone answers

Alan...

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
A guy who used to work in a call centre told me that on Fridays after a few pints, they'd spend the afternoon ringing up everyone who'd told them to eff off.

If someone claims to be from a bank and is asking security details it is almost certainly a scam. Ask for their name, number, the name and number of their supervisor, the address of their office and tell them if you are not completely satisfied with who they are after calling back you will call the police. "Click" is the normal result.

Top Bottom