How to fix securely into Thermalite Block??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I want to suspend my bike and lock it to the wall.............which unfortunately is Thermalite.
Normal screws can be easily ripped out.
I understand I can get special fixings and I read that I can resin fix some thread bar.
Has anyone had experience of this problem??

Another possible solution would be a ground anchor but I would then need long "security" type chain and that is quite expensive............so I want to explore option 1 first.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Drill the holes deeper and use bigger screws . I doubt you will pull out a 3" no8 screw using brown plugs .

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Drill the holes deeper and use bigger screws . I doubt you will pull out a 3" no8 screw using brown plugs .

From Thermalite???
Never tried it and I am a numpty regards any building but I would have thought you could prize them out??

U

User6179

Fischer hammer fixings should be ok for Thermalite , you might need to buy washers depending on the size of the holes of the bracket .

U

User6179

From Thermalite???
Never tried it and I am a numpty regards any building but I would have thought you could prize them out??

You will only prise them out if you drill the hole to big to start with .

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Drill into the block and pop the rawl plug in . Then put the screw in and give it a couple of turns until it bites . Then tap the two into the block deeper . When you have about an inch of screw showing tighten it up . You wont be pulling that bad boy out !

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Drill into the block and pop the rawl plug in . Then put the screw in and give it a couple of turns until it bites . Then tap the two into the block deeper . When you have about an inch of screw showing tighten it up . You wont be pulling that bad boy out !
Interesting...........I will try that and (if it works) use it..thanks

ayceejay

Guru
Using construction glue fix a strip of timber the appropriate length and thickness to the wall and screw your hanger to this with ordinary wood screws.

PK99

Legendary Member
I want to suspend my bike and lock it to the wall.............which unfortunately is Thermalite.
Normal screws can be easily ripped out.
I understand I can get special fixings and I read that I can resin fix some thread bar.
Has anyone had experience of this problem??

Another possible solution would be a ground anchor but I would then need long "security" type chain and that is quite expensive............so I want to explore option 1 first.

don't mess around with expensive workarounds - get the right kit:

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/DIY-sup...asplugs-scp-120-thermal-block-fixings-10.html

PK99

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3423655, member: 45"]Rawl plugs won't give you a proper fox in thermalite for a bike hanger.
The simple, and cheap, solution as has already been said is to use battens or plywood board fixed to the wall, and then fix the hanger to the wood.[/QUOTE]

..only if you fix the batten to the soft and crumbly thermelite with the right fixing.....

400bhp

Guru
[QUOTE 3423655, member: 45"]Rawl plugs won't give you a proper fox in thermalite for a bike hanger.
The simple, and cheap, solution as has already been said is to use battens or plywood board fixed to the wall, and then fix the hanger to the wood.[/QUOTE]

+1 and those Plasplugs are crap.

Top Bottom