How to freeze eg chicken and later KNOW what it is ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I tend to wrap meat etc in foil and then freeze it.
Weeks later I can't distinguish what is what
Do marker pens work on foil ?
Can I use some sort of clear plastic ?
Any ideas?
T'other day I bought 2 types of sausage, chicken breast and pork.......it would be nice to know what is what :rolleyes:

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Cling film or freezer bags

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Freezer bags or plastic boxes you can put in the freezer. Write on the lid and it can be washed off later.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Why are you wrapping in foil for freezing?

As above, freezer bags or ‘Tupperware’ boxes. You can mark these with a biro or Sharpie and can usually see what’s in them too.

To your question - I’d guess a Sharpie would mark foil fairly well but can’t guarantee it’ll survive totally unscathed.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Permanent marker pen, something like a Sharpie or a Staedler.

Wrapping meat in foil isn't the best way to preserve it anyway, it'll dry out and get areas of freezer burn. Wrap your raw meat in clingfilm and put in a sealable freezer bag, then write on that if you think there'll be any doubt.
I put any cooked meals (curry, soup etc) in those little plastic takeaway tray / tubs that you get from the Chinese takeaway, you can write the contents on the lid.

vickster

Legendary Member
Stop eating meat...problem solved ;)

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
T'other day I bought 2 types of sausage, chicken breast and pork.......it would be nice to know what is what

I put them in freezer bags and usually cut the label off the original packaging and put that in as well so I know what's in the bag.
If splitting a package across several bags, I use a sharpie pen to write on the freezer bag (before I fill it).

plastic tubs you get with your indian takeaway
dunno if they are the same - but I use the ones from the local chippy - my curry and rice come in it

although - warning - there are at least 2 different makes that look identical - but the lids from type 1 do not fit the base from type 2 - and visa versa so it is best to stick to one chippie

oh - and I write on them with a sharpie - used to use a pen for writing on CDs (and DVDs) which was better as it washed off easily - SHarpie need alcohol to shift it

Top Bottom