How to get the very best from Nitromors paint and varnish remover.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
1. When buying your tin of Nitromors in the hardware shop move straight past it and find another brand. I have found Supadec to be the best.

2. If you have any Nitromors in your workshop ignore it completely and use Supadec or something else.

3. It would greatly improve the efficiency of your Nitromors if you chucked it away in an environmentally responsible way. (Although it's so bloody weak I doubt it would have any adverse effect on anything it came into contact with. I'm tempted to see if it works as a refreshing cordial)

Honestly I had used supadec before and thought that one day I'd go the extra few quid and get Nitromors. I thought that it was supposed to be the absolute nuts and that if the supadec I was using was pretty good then Nitromors must be out of this world. It is not...It is rubbish. It makes a hell of a mess and takes about three goes to get all the crap off that supadec does in one go.

I would advise that with supadec you leave it on for an hour to an hour and a quater rather than just the 30 mins advised but if you do it will not have all dried up and dried the paint back on to the surface and it will have bubbled up nicely all the paint you have applied it to.

Do be careful not to get supadec on your skin of course, as it does tend to burn after a few seconds.

What really boiled my spuds was that the Nitromors said it was a new more effective formula. I can only assume they mean more effective at making them a profit because they are using less active ingredients.

Rant over.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Just me then.:sad:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Just me then.:sad:
no, not just you.. I recall nitromors used to be the dog's a couple of decades ago, but now it's crap. Probably as a result of a NEW IMPROVED FORMULA with several exclamation marks (!!), which to a cynic like me means NOW WITH CHEAPER INGREDIENTS!

Next time i fancy doing a strip, I'll keep an eye out for Supadec.

D

Deleted member 20519

I used 10 year old Nitromors on an old steel from and it worked a treat! Unfortunately it also burned through the gloves I was wearing :eek:

02GF74

Über Member
read about nitromors not being as good it used to be due to health & safetly or was it more environmentallyfriendly formula?

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
It has definitely become less potent. I don't want safe corrosive products thank you very much. I want ones that are dangerous enough to corrode old paint and I'll worry about being careful with it. I can't see an environmental advantage either because I had to use three times as much as I did of the supadec and it took much longer thus exposing me to fumes and such for a lot longer. What next, non flammable petrol?

jarlrmai

Veteran
VOCs are not to be taken lightly.

OP
OP
Cyclopathic

Cyclopathic

Veteran
2671072 said:
Volatile organic compounds
I don't mess about with them. I wear gloves and safety specs and apply it either outside or just iside my workshop with the door wide open. I don't see how making it weaker makes it safer for the reasons I stated above (takes longer, needs more applications etc..)
I know it wasn't your warning, but still. I want lethal chemicals god dammit.:wacko:

Top Bottom