How to get your tyres not just clean, but Persil clean.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SimonC

Missus was out partying last night, so I thought I take the time to put my used Michelin Pro 3's that I finished racing on, on my brand spanking Campag Zonda wheels. Got tyres out of shed, used to have white sidewalls, now horrible black/grey colur.

Chucked em in the sink with some washing up liquid and gave a good scrub, came up OK but not great, certainly didnt look good next to brand new wheels. By this time missus had left for xmas party.

Then came up with idea of chucking them in the washing machine with a dark wash of clothes.

60 minutes later out they come spotless and gleaming white! Wouldnt have dared do it if missus was at home though:smile:

raindog

er.....
Xmas party? Bit early innit?

Norm

Well, what powder did you use? Was it non-bio? I hope that you didn't need anything higher than a 40 degree wash. etc :laugh:

OP
OP
S

SimonC

Norm said:
Well, what powder did you use? Was it non-bio? I hope that you didn't need anything higher than a 40 degree wash. etc ;)

Persil non-bio at 40C, makes your whites whiter:biggrin:

Maybe somebody should try chucking chain and cassette in, should get it sparkling clean!

gavintc

Guru
First Christmas do last night as well.

I will 'consider' the tyre cleaning option, but I would run the machine through again with another load of dark before letting my wife do a wash with her stuff.

AlanW

Guru
I used the dishwasher once to degrease some motor bike parts, and it worked an absolute treat.

However, I should have done a empty wash cycle afterwards just to clear any residue away, but I didn't....doh!. :becool:

The aftermath on the dishes on the next full crockery wash was pretty bad I must admit, and boy oh boy did I get a bollocking or what!!

Fair cop though. :biggrin:

Funnily enough, but I have never felt the need to repeat the exercise after that. :smile:

Chrisz

Über Member
LOL. I'll be sending the wife out to Bluewater this weekend and having a go at my tyres :becool:

I have also been known to put various car parts through the dishwasher - sometimes I wish I could get my car wheels in there - far too fiddly to clean by hand :smile:

Number14

Guru
dodgy said:
OMO, or perhaps in the OPs case 'OWO'.
You have to be a certain age to get that ^^^

Can you still buy OMO? A few of the wives on the estate where I worked as a window cleaner used to leave a box in the kitchen window when the OH was out at work. Oh happy days :becool:

dodgy

Number14 said:
Can you still buy OMO? A few of the wives on the estate where I worked as a window cleaner used to leave a box in the kitchen window when the OH was out at work. Oh happy days :biggrin:

Glad someone got it :smile:

OP
OP
S

SimonC

gavintc said:
First Christmas do last night as well.

I will 'consider' the tyre cleaning option, but I would run the machine through again with another load of dark before letting my wife do a wash with her stuff.

I'd already scrubbed most of the crud off by hand so shouldnt be too much residue, they were just nowhere near white enough. Anyway she has used the washer since then and not made any comments so I am assuming I am safe.:wacko:

Chapeau to those who have used the dishwasher for the bike parts though.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom