How To Improve Commuter Safety (Tell me your pain points and wildest ideas)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheSudsySender

Hi everyone!

I am a Product Design student taking on the task of improving Commuter cyclist safety for my Final Year Project.

My aim is to create a product that will reduce the occurrence of cyclist accidents in the urban commuter environment. I am hoping to gain some direct insight into the issues that commuter cyclists feel are most important. I would also love to share the progress of my Final Year Project with you all and I will gladly welcome any and all constructive criticism along the way.

So with that outta the way...

To those who are interested, I would like to ask a few things:

- What are the biggest safety issues you feel you face as a commuter cyclist?

- Have you/Do you use any safety products and if so, do you have any favorites (or least favorites) and why?

- If you don't use safety products then why not? Too expensive? Annoying? Etc.

- Have you any ideas for features that you would find useful for commuter bike safety (I know there'll be a few funny ones and I can't wait to read them but it would be awesome to have some serious ones too!)

The features I am currently considering implementing in my design are;

- A rearview mirror-esque system that allows you to see what is happening behind you without having to look over your shoulder (considering implementing into a helmet or maybe handlebar-mounted system)

-As a follow on function from the above idea; there could be a vibration/light/sound alert that would draw riders attention

- An indicator system that can either be controlled via bar-mounted buttons/dedicated grips with incorporated buttons/or synced with a navigation system that automatically turns indicators on when coming to junction

Let me know what you think! Really appreciate any input and I hope you all have an amazing day!!!

classic33

Leg End Member
Safety issue.
Other road users not willing to accept that I, a cyclist, am a legitimate road user. And like them, I am part of the traffic.

Hi-Vis has exploded in recent years. To the point that it's no longer "Hi-Vis". It blends into the background. Contrast would be a better way of getting yourself seen, clothing wise.

I'm not a fan of mirrors, they stop you doing the very simple act of looking over your shoulder and checking what's there.

Indicators on a bike have been tried before, many times. They'd be fitted to a vehicle that most wouldn't expect to see them on. Possibly leading to confusion.
They'd be too close together as well, especially if fitted to a helmet.

There is a helmet on the market that gives you rearward vision via a periscope system.

I use a helmet/head camera, pointing forwards. Some use rearward facing cameras that are often built into the rear lights.

The safety of the cyclist (and other perfectly legal, non-mechanised road user - pedestrians, horses and horse-drawn vehicles) is, beyond a certain very limited degree and once the non-mechanised user ventures onto the so-called 'public road', entirely in the hands of those who direct their almost-infinitely heavier, larger and faster machines at any time of the day or night, often under deleterious influences such as alcohol, drugs, tiredness, and distractions.

Useful improvements in safety are highly unlikely to result from fiddling about with the bicycle, the rider or any accessories, assuming that the bike is well-maintained, the rider competent and the two suited one to the other.

The only way that lasting and significant improvements in safety for non-mechanised/vulnerable road users will be achieved is from intensive driver education and public campaigns, and a concurrent revolution in road architecture and traffic legislation.

Other than that, I would like - whenever I ride my bike in motorised traffic - to have flails as can be found on tanks, and scythes, as seen on an imaginary chariot carrying Boudicca ...

classic33

Leg End Member
The safety of the cyclist (and other perfectly legal, non-mechanised road user - pedestrians, horses and horse-drawn vehicles) is, beyond a certain very limited degree and once the non-mechanised user ventures onto the so-called 'public road', entirely in the hands of those who direct their almost-infinitely heavier, larger and faster machines at any time of the day or night, often under deleterious influences such as alcohol, drugs, tiredness, and distractions.

Useful improvements in safety are highly unlikely to result from fiddling about with the bicycle, the rider or any accessories, assuming that the bike is well-maintained, the rider competent and the two suited one to the other.

The only way that lasting and significant improvements in safety for non-mechanised/vulnerable road users will be achieved is from intensive driver education and public campaigns, and a concurrent revolution in road architecture and traffic legislation.

Other than that, I would like - whenever I ride my bike in motorised traffic - to have flails as can be found on tanks, and scythes, as seen on an imaginary chariot carrying Boudicca ...
Carrying one while cycling can get you a bit of extra room on the overtakes, and drivers seem more reluctant to attempt to overtake in the first place.

The frame gets in the way of such blades though. A trike or quad with wheels mounted on one side of the wheel are a better choice.
Well, can I have an extension of the QR skewer in the manner of a scythe-like blade? But sharpened on both edges? I will then cycle close to the lines of vehicles parked in the on-road painted cyclepath ... slasher is my middle name!

classic33

Leg End Member
Well, can I have an extension of the QR skewer in the manner of a scythe-like blade? But sharpened on both edges? I will then cycle close to the lines of vehicles parked in the on-road painted cyclepath ... slasher is my middle name!
There's already some that will bolt onto the axles. Only around the foot long mark, but effective I'd say.

Sharky

Guru
Devices to increase the visibility of a cyclist, to a motorist have all been invented. Lights, hi is etc already exist.
Devices to alert a cyclist to a speeding vehicle from behind have been tried before and are ineffective. Even if alerted, there is very little action a cyclist could take to compensate for poor driving by the motorist.

There could be a gap in the market for devices to warn cyclists of dangers ahead and to give the cyclist time to take avoidance action. I know of several cases where a rider has gone into the back of a parked vehicle, with fatal consequences. Usually because the rider had his head down until too late. Pedestrians stepping out , bad road surfaces, pot holes , black ice etc are all dangers to cyclists. If these were detected and the rider given sufficient time to take avoidance measures it would increase safety.

I suspect that for your purpose, it is the process rather than the end product that matters, so I wish you good luck and please return with updates on your findings. Too many students post a survey and are never seen again.

I'm currently doing a bit of cycling in a very different part of the world to most of your respondents and I'd concur that the single biggest factor for staying safe on a bike is the attitude of drivers of other motor vehicles.

But you want to design a product so here's my suggestion:
As a part of the learning to drive course every want to be driver has to complete a bicycle simulation module where they will be subjected to close passes, sudden horns, potholes and other debris and sudden left/right (depending on country) turns.
Design a simulator that will achieve all that.
Alternatively, every want to be driver has to complete x number of miles on a bike before getting a license.

Mirrors exist (I love them), indicators won't work and a warning system will be useless in any scenario involving traffic.
Sorry.

I use a mirror, wear a helmet (on tour), have lights but the most important safety device I have is what's between my ears.

If you really want a bike product, there is/was a product from Spain, the distanciador, a lightweight and retractable plastic "arm" that can be deployed to encourage traffic to give cyclists a wide berth. I used one in NL but that was mainly to keep roadies away from me, not traffic. You may be able to find a video on YouTube.

Good luck!

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Hi everyone!

I am a Product Design student taking on the task of improving Commuter cyclist safety for my Final Year Project.

My aim is to create a product that will reduce the occurrence of cyclist accidents in the urban commuter environment. I am hoping to gain some direct insight into the issues that commuter cyclists feel are most important. I would also love to share the progress of my Final Year Project with you all and I will gladly welcome any and all constructive criticism along the way.

So with that outta the way...

To those who are interested, I would like to ask a few things:

- Have you/Do you use any safety products and if so, do you have any favorites (or least favorites) and why?

- Have you any ideas for features that you would find useful for commuter bike safety (I know there'll be a few funny ones and I can't wait to read them but it would be awesome to have some serious ones too!)

- A rearview mirror-esque system that allows you to see what is happening behind you without having to look over your shoulder (considering implementing into a helmet or maybe handlebar-mounted system)

-As a follow on function from the above idea; there could be a vibration/light/sound alert that would draw riders attention

- An indicator system that can either be controlled via bar-mounted buttons/dedicated grips with incorporated buttons/or synced with a navigation system that automatically turns indicators on when coming to junction

Let me know what you think! Really appreciate any input and I hope you all have an amazing day!!!
Proper public transport, make petrol and diesel prohibitively expensive, restrict car sales and stop putting the onus on people who cycle as transport to dress like a clown.

Drago

Legendary Member
Human nature and rear view mirrors do not mix. Instead of keeping proper observation the typical human will instead rely upon the mirror, simply because it requires less effort. This is exactly what the typical car driver reverts to when they have passed their test and there is no longer an instructor sat beside them.

Conversely, while it is easier, it is a far less effective means of keeping proper obs than simply looking properly. It gives only a narrow field of view in the direction the mirror is pointed, and that is it. Nothing more. NET result is riders are left worse off than before the whole exercise began.

Now, combine the mirrors with some kind of mild electric shock device that activates when the ride has not deviated their face from the straight ahead position for 10 seconds (most riders manage tens of minutes) and you could be on to something.

If you genuinely want to design something to promote road cycling safety, then first you should identify the largest category of cycling casualty causes (car drivers). Having identified the cause one can then develop a system to mitigate their lazy, negligent, even wilfully dangerous behaviour, such as a system that detects when they are too close to a cyclist and sounds a warning/cuts the ignition/applies the brakes/whatever. Look at the offender, not the victim.

Weve all seen mirrors, indicators, bike mounted radar, its all been and gone and been again, and still the casualty rates among cyclists are on the rise again.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I suspect that for your purpose, it is the process rather than the end product that matters, so I wish you good luck and please return with updates on your findings. Too many students post a survey and are never seen again.
You are almost certainly correct on this point.

Regarding safety and commuting, there are threats that you can't control - mainly unobservant drivers- and ones that you can - your own rashness/poor decision making.

I have to be honest, and in my commuting days most of the scares I had could have been avoided by starting out 10 minutes earlier and just being generally more relaxed and more cautious in my decision making. The ride home was always better than the ride in because of this. So, slightly tongue in cheek, I'd suggest a better alarm clock.

As to products to improve safety, how about something along the lines of those apps that show you current traffic conditions. So you can open the app while having your morning tea/coffee and say to yourself "bugger, the Wotnot Road is snarled up today, I'll go via Thingy instead". Although how you could add cycling specific value to what already exists, I'm not sure.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Firstly, thanks for your detailed introduction; it's rare that a researcher provides adequate context, although it would be good to know if you have any cycling experience. There's implied no criticism here; it's just about knowing how much explanation needs to be given in responses.

As for my background - a commuter of approx 30 years (though now retired) on a mix of urban, suburban and rural roads.

My aim is to create a product that will reduce the occurrence of cyclist accidents in the urban commuter environment. I am hoping to gain some direct insight into the issues that commuter cyclists feel are most important.
You may gain some 'insights' here, especially given the years of experience many members bring to bear, however, you'll doubtless appreciate this is little more than anecdata and as such, not a strong foundation on which to build a product design. To 'reduce the occurrence of cyclist accidents in the urban commuter environment', you first need to establish the causes and, as others have already stated, some of those causes may be outside the cyclist's bubble.

• Attitude of other road users - from inattentive to, in some cases, aggressive and dangerous.
  • Poorly designed road infrastructure where cyclists' needs have not been appropriately addressed or accommodated.
  • Poor quality and badly maintained roads.
  • The weather! Especially, though not solely in winter. Fog and rain affecting visibility of other road users who fail to adjust their behaviour appropriately. Ice is of course a real concern.
I wear clothing which has some degree of hi viz, though you'll find views elsewhere on the forum which disagree with the effectiveness of this type of gear.
I wear a helmet; another highly contentious topic.
I use bike lights, though not in daylight when the visibility is good. Again you'll find some folks who prefer to use lights at all times.
I wear protective eyewear; darkened lenses for bright days and clear for other times.
I wear gloves, obviously in winter, but fingerless mitts in summer.
I use good quality tyres, even on my commuter hack.
I have used a mirror in the past, but rarely do so these days.

Just some thoughts on the topic of mirrors. When commuting, I was fortunate to use more than one bike; each would have needed its own mirror. The same mirror mounting system wouldn't work across all the bikes.
I could, as some do, opt for a helmet or specs mounted mirror, but I worry about the risk of injury from something stuck out near my face, in the event of an accident. I have no data on the likelihood of that, but for me, it's a concern.
In the end I've opted to rely on my unaided senses - looking and listening.

- Have you any ideas for features that you would find useful for commuter bike safety?
I've not thought deeply about this, so take it with a pinch of salt. I wonder about a warning device on the bike which activates automatically when a vehicle is approaching from the rear i.e. to warn the approaching vehicle, not the cyclist? Flashing lights, similar in principle to those in cars activated automatically by heavy braking? It would need to be 'intelligent', not coming on whilst a stream of vehicles is passing, as is the often the case on the urban commute.
Just an idea. Wonder what others think?

- A rearview mirror-esque system that allows you to see what is happening
behind you without having to look over your shoulder (considering implementing into a helmet or maybe handlebar-mounted system)
'without having to look over your shoulder' We shouldn't seek to avoid this but supplement it maybe?
'helmet' Not everyone wears one, so that reduces your market. Also think about the safety issues created by mounting something to a protective device.
'handlebar-mounted system' How about a rear view camera projecting to a screen (smartphone) centrally mounted on the handlebars? Perhaps as an adjunct to a nav system and/or video recording capability?

Would I use one? Not for a minute - introduces complexity where a simpler, non-tech solution exists. But some might appreciate such a device.

Or perhaps the approaching vehicle driver's attention? They are arguably in a better position to take mitigating action.

I agree with my fellow members here. I don't think there's a case to be made for indicators on a bike. The technology underpinning such a device has been around for many years, as have niche versions of such products … but how many bikes do you see with them fitted?

So, should the priority be to design a device for the cyclist to use, or might a more fruitful avenue be to look at devices which can be deployed elsewhere.
Just riffing:
An in-vehicle warning system which alerts the driver when approaching cyclists.
An in-vehicle close-pass prevention device which prevents cars passing cyclists too closely.
A road sign which illuminates as cars approach to warn drivers of the likelihood of encountering cyclists (like those which come on when cars approach and warn them of their speed).

Top Bottom