How To Improve Commuter Safety (Tell me your pain points and wildest ideas)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
KnittyNorah said:

If a pothole-spotting device were developed, I'm sure it would be relatively easy to add to it a pothole marking device which sprays it with hi-vis, neon, glow-in-the-dark marker paint,
https://www.boredpanda.com/wanksy-p...oogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

That's great - but I'm unsure what 'washable paint' means in the context described - is it paint which can be washed - hence will remain on the road after rain - or is it paint which can be washed off, thus ensuring its rapid erasure in stereotypical Manchester weather?

I read somewhere about people planting flowering bedding plants in the potholes in a rural village somewhere, as a combination of warning to road users, drawing the Highways Dept attention to the state of the road and as a general way of improving the looks of the village ...

classic33

Leg End Member
If a pothole-spotting device were developed, I'm sure it would be relatively easy to add to it a pothole marking device which sprays it with hi-vis, neon, glow-in-the-dark marker paint, so as to enable the next cyclists along (before it's promptly fixed by the highways dept) to see and safely avoid ... better make the paint long-lasting, too, just in case of any delay ...
There has been
https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/news/16...machine-lands-southampton-student-100k-grant/

And it probably started life in a similar question to that asked in the thread title and first post.

Ascentale

Hi, it's cool that you are taking this on as a project.

As many others have mentioned in this forum, cyclist safety most often means protection from cars. It looks like that in the EU in 2019, 72% of cyclist deaths were caused by motor vehicles (cars + trucks + buses + motorcycles), so this is a very reasonable concern.

My view is that the biggest safety issue is not having physical barriers between myself and cars when I ride my bike. I'm not sure if you're constrained to designing products with cyclists as a target audience or not. But I think that changing our public infrastructure is the best way to make cycling safer.

To answer your other questions:

Safety products I use: I use a bunch of lights, mainly. The headlight mainly helps illuminate the road in front of me and alert oncoming vehicles (cars mostly, sometimes bikes) of my presence. I use tail lights and other visibility lights to make sure drivers behind me can see me and not drive into me. I use a helmet in case of a crash.

Feedback on your ideas:
A rearview mirror-esque system: I know of riders who use a clip-on mirror on their helmet or glasses. They seem to like these. I don't think they are too popular. I tried one once and did not like it at all. The mirror was small and I found it about as easy to just turn my head to see what was behind me.

An indicator system: I don't see a lack of turn indication as being a big source of safety issues. Sometimes this is a problem if a group of cyclists are riding together and somebody makes an abrupt turn without signaling. But I think these situations are rare.

I hope this helps, and good luck with your project!
Phil

Hi everyone!

I am a Product Design student taking on the task of improving Commuter cyclist safety for my Final Year Project.

My aim is to create a product that will reduce the occurrence of cyclist accidents in the urban commuter environment. I am hoping to gain some direct insight into the issues that commuter cyclists feel are most important. I would also love to share the progress of my Final Year Project with you all and I will gladly welcome any and all constructive criticism along the way.

So with that outta the way...

To those who are interested, I would like to ask a few things:

- What are the biggest safety issues you feel you face as a commuter cyclist?

- Have you/Do you use any safety products and if so, do you have any favorites (or least favorites) and why?

- If you don't use safety products then why not? Too expensive? Annoying? Etc.

- Have you any ideas for features that you would find useful for commuter bike safety (I know there'll be a few funny ones and I can't wait to read them but it would be awesome to have some serious ones too!)

The features I am currently considering implementing in my design are;

- A rearview mirror-esque system that allows you to see what is happening behind you without having to look over your shoulder (considering implementing into a helmet or maybe handlebar-mounted system)

-As a follow on function from the above idea; there could be a vibration/light/sound alert that would draw riders attention

- An indicator system that can either be controlled via bar-mounted buttons/dedicated grips with incorporated buttons/or synced with a navigation system that automatically turns indicators on when coming to junction

Let me know what you think! Really appreciate any input and I hope you all have an amazing day!!!

Top Bottom