how to improve my average speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd say an average speed of 16.9 over 2.5 miles is most definitely not pushing hard. I respect what you're saying and take heed with correct warm up procedures etc. But if he's only losing 1.9mph over a further 31.5 miles, with differing terrain, I'd say his effort was almost mimicked on both rides. If he had said he has an average of 24mph over the commute, I'd agree. But as it stands, his commute looks more of a warm up than a proper warm up does.
The OP has not yet added any comments, however he states he has only been riding a short time so 16.9mph is actually very respectable, it may not be pushing hard for you but it obviously is for him and would be more than most could manage on CC. Your comment that he is only losing 1.9mph over the 31.5 miles is wrong, a 1.9mph average loss/improvement is a heck of a lot.

Don't be obsessed by a high average speed. Enjoy the ride, listen to the birds, watch things happening around you, stop and look at the view. Seems to me that the whole world is in too much of a rush. BTW my average over 39 miles and 2,100 ft of climbing was 15.2. Am I bovvered?
CC is a broad church, quite a few on here race / tt, some just want to go quicker, many are happy to pootle and yet others do endurance events, live and let live.

boydj

Legendary Member
It's counter-productive to be pushing for a time on every ride. When you do go for a time, pacing is key, as starting too fast will cost more when you run out of steam than starting steady and building into the run and going hard at the end.

Edit : The best way to improve your average, as indicated above, is to do interval training.

Citius

Edit : The best way to improve your average, as indicated above, is to do interval training.

That sounds a bit prescriptive. There are lots of ways of improving his average, and that is only one of them. As for which is the 'best', that depends on what suits the OP the best.

russ.will

Slimboy Fat
Seems like a pretty decent average to me.

On Tuesdays/Thursdays, we group ride about 25 miles, keeping the pace up to off-set the distance. 2/3 of this is on the Mis-guided Busway in Cambridgeshire, which is flat as a fart (favouring fatties like me who get found out on climbs), but means you can do 2-4mile stretches without interruption. Typically, we wheel along at 21-22mph, which over the ride gives 17.5-18mph average. On some nights, the tri-atheltes among us (I'm not one) 'like' to set up a chain gang for the ride back and then we're stringing along at 23-24mph. The fastest I've ever averaged including one of those is 18.1mph.

Over a given route, you need all of the stars to align and a hurricane up your butt to make a big gain. Over 2.5 miles, you'll make very little impact.

Russell

OP
OP
mikey199090

mikey199090

Regular
Thanks for the reply gentlemen, sorry for my late reply.

Some good and very different answers on here, I appreciate what each and everyone of you are saying. I think I may start to introduce interval training into my cycling, also try and stay at a steady pace when I start my ride and go hard near the end as I think I'm trying to hard when I set off and running out of steam for the duration of the ride.

One of my other key factors is my eating plan, maybe I'm not eating enough to fuel myself as I don't eat massive amounts during my working day as I'm busy and I headed straight out that day for my 33 mile with not much in the tank.

Crandoggler

You have ~200 calories stored in your liver and ~800-2000 stored in your muscle mass (assuming you've eaten). It will be mentally harder, but you physically have enough to perform the task. Id suggest a banana before exercise. I've never eaten whilst riding. I've never felt the need!

Onyer

CC is a broad church, quite a few on here race / tt, some just want to go quicker, many are happy to pootle and yet others do endurance events, live and let live.
I apologise if my comments seemed to be prescriptive and I didn't mean them to come out like that. I was only trying to put forward my own preference.
Anyway I have just been out to try and up my average - 17.2 mph over 24 fairly flat miles. Not sure I will try that again. One other comment I would make for anyone trying to up their average is to concentrate. I found my mind wandering onto other things and my speed reducing.

GilesM

Legendary Member
Don't be obsessed by a high average speed. Enjoy the ride, listen to the birds, watch things happening around you, stop and look at the view. Seems to me that the whole world is in too much of a rush. BTW my average over 39 miles and 2,100 ft of climbing was 15.2. Am I bovvered?

That's the best plan, if you're not racing, or planning to race, why worry, just enjoy riding a bike, even turn any speed/distance recording stuff off, or leave it at home, ride your bike, slowly build up the distance, you don't need to record things to add another 5 miles to your ride, and if you're not planning to race, don't even think about about interval training, it's very painful, and no fun.
There are so many advantages of riding a bike, and 30 miles at 16mph, is unlikely to be of much more benefit to mind and body than 30 miles at 14.5mph, however 30 ish miles in around about 2hrs, or perhaps 50 ish miles in about 4hrs will probably be a lot more fun, especially if you can add pie and chips, and a couple of pints.
When I stopped racing many years ago two things changed in my life, I suddenly had hairy legs, and riding a bike became more fun.
I'll head out for a wee ride this evening, take my hardtail, probably plan to do about 30 ish miles on the lanes, may divert to a few tracks and paths if I feel like it, and I'll probably be out for a couple of hours, I may record my ride, I may leave my Garmin at home, it really doesn't matter, riding a bike is fantastic, just enjoy.

OP
OP
mikey199090

mikey199090

Regular
GilesM fantastic reply! speed will come with me just carrying on. I really enjoy cycling, releases stress after a hard day at work!!

I did my first 45 mile tonight, pleased with my time and loved getting out into the open, in the middle of nowhere down country lanes and exploring!

heres the link if you want to have a look

https://www.strava.com/activities/376649201

GilesM

Legendary Member
I did my first 45 mile tonight, pleased with my time and loved getting out into the open, in the middle of nowhere down country lanes and exploring!

heres the link if you want to have a look

Looks like a fun wee route, always good to find the quiet lanes, and open countryside, and if you enjoy riding 45 miles in an evening, improved fitness and all the good stuff that go with it are bound to come along in time.

MickeyBlueEyes

Eat, Sleep, Ride, Repeat.
Interesting reading people's different ways to increase average speed. I went down the route of just ride, ride, ride and its worked a treat for me. It's not been quick though so this option does need patience, but, I've found the gains to be sustainable so worth it. I've gone from around 15.5mph when I took to road cycling back in 2011 to anything around 20 & up to 22.something now. The gains really showed this year more than any before when I wanted to do a 100 miler in <5hrs, done in 4:49 I think it was, and then to hold my own in the local group rides that steam along anywhere around 23/24 average, done, and loving them. Using your commute is a great way of mile building, abuse this option as much as you can.

Top Bottom