how to improve my average speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mikey199090

mikey199090

Regular
Interesting reading people's different ways to increase average speed. I went down the route of just ride, ride, ride and its worked a treat for me. It's not been quick though so this option does need patience, but, I've found the gains to be sustainable so worth it. I've gone from around 15.5mph when I took to road cycling back in 2011 to anything around 20 & up to 22.something now. The gains really showed this year more than any before when I wanted to do a 100 miler in <5hrs, done in 4:49 I think it was, and then to hold my own in the local group rides that steam along anywhere around 23/24 average, done, and loving them. Using your commute is a great way of mile building, abuse this option as much as you can.

yes totally agree with you here il just keep on riding and hopefully see the results :-)

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
EPO, stanozolol, testosterone, cocaine, amphetamines, clenbuterol... All best avoided. :angel:

What tyres do you have?

blazed

220lb+
EPO, stanozolol, testosterone, cocaine, amphetamines, clenbuterol... All best avoided. :angel:

What tyres do you have?
Do people actually take cocaine for sports performance?

I've switched off any reference to average speed on my Garmin. I have a good idea of what I'll be riding at over given terrain. What passes for hilly around here will usually be around 16.5 mph and the more rolling stuff I will push around 18/19 mph. You don't have to be Einstein to know that your average speed will drop when you point the bike skywards and increase on the flatter stuff. Since I have done this I have concentrated on improving segments of my ride which according to Strava seems to be happening. Average speeds haven't necessarily gone up, but neither have they dropped as a result.

Top Bottom