How to indicate when traveling fast?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Cars have illuminated indicators as well - thats the bit you seem to be determined to miss

That is not so much moving the goalposts as changing the game. Do you have a point to make?

david k

Hi
i signal early to allow drivers to know what im doing, i ride a little signal again, the if im going fast i will slow first and signal just b4 i turn, ive already done it twice before so its not a late signal

apollo179

That is not so much moving the goalposts as changing the game. Do you have a point to make?
As part of a combined strategy of road hazard management i suggest that properly positioned electric indicator lights could play a valuable role in circumstances where the default method of hand in air is going to be impractical or ineffective. (ie - in the dark where bright lights are more visible than hand in air , or where cyclists cannot take his/her arm of the handlebars)

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
As part of a combined strategy of road hazard management i suggest that properly positioned electric indicator lights could play a valuable role in circumstances where the default method of hand in air is going to be impractical or ineffective. (ie - in the dark where bright lights are more visible than hand in air , or where cyclists cannot take his/her arm of the handlebars)

I would suggest respectfully that unless travelling down a hill anyone unable to take a hand from the bars should not be riding on a road in the first place.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
[QUOTE 1496665"]
I'm glad you said respectfully because don't you think that's a bit harsh?
[/quote]

I don't think it's harsh at all. Being able to take one hand off the bars is a Level 1 Bikeability requirement. If a child is unable to do so then they are not aloud to progress to L2 which is done on quite side roads.

apollo179

I woudnt feel the need of them myself but for a vulnerable person like a child who had to ride on the road after dark i could see the value of some well positioned hi visibility indicators to be used in conjunction with the customary hand signal.

Norm

But cars have lights and thus can see what is in front of them. Am I missing something vital here.??
Yes, IMO.

Car headlights aim downwards when they are on dipped beam (as they should be when there is a cyclist in front of them), and they only aim horizontally on main beam, so they don't cast much light at the level of a cyclists arm. If they did, they'd blind cars coming the other way.

Reflectives or small LED lights on the wrist will help but I have found it very tough to see a cyclist's hand signal at night.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Yes, IMO.

Car headlights aim downwards when they are on dipped beam (as they should be when there is a cyclist in front of them), and they only aim horizontally on main beam, so they don't cast much light at the level of a cyclists arm. If they did, they'd blind cars coming the other way.

Reflectives or small LED lights on the wrist will help but I have found it very tough to see a cyclist's hand signal at night.
I have never had that problem myself although the point about reflective wrist material is a good idea :smile:

Top Bottom