How to indicate when traveling fast?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

apollo179

Why would a driver not be able to see a hand signal if he/she were compliant with the law?

By the same arguement why would a driver not be able to see a cyclist if he/she were compliant with the law?
Its dark and the aim is to maximise visibility.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
By the same arguement why would a driver not be able to see a cyclist if he/she were compliant with the law?
Its dark and the aim is to maximise visibility.
A cyclis at night must have a front white reflector, rear red reflector and two amber pedal reflectors per pedal. Lights front and rear must meet relevent legislation BS / EU standard. How does this allow a driver to see hand signals?

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
This is why I'm not so keen on the idea...

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vntF3ZXxKUw&feature=related[/media]

...although there are better designs available, next to the flashing tail light they don't stand out enough, and with so many flashing tail lights on bikes these days a driver won't necessarily take a flashing amber light as a clear signal of an intention to turn.

If you do use them, use them as well as using hand signals, not instead of :hello:

apollo179

This is why I'm not so keen on the idea...

[media]

]View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vntF3ZXxKUw&feature=related[/media]

...although there are better designs available, next to the flashing tail light they don't stand out enough, and with so many flashing tail lights on bikes these days a driver won't necessarily take a flashing amber light as a clear signal of an intention to turn.

If you do use them, use them as well as using hand signals, not instead of :hello:

Vid does well illustrate the innectiveness when mounted close together and i would discount the flashing red for braking altogether - but the indicators would be ok mounted out on stalks.
Agreed - if used should be used as an addition to hand signals not instead of.
(eg - useful maybe in the dark)
:hello:

apollo179

A cyclis at night must have a front white reflector, rear red reflector and two amber pedal reflectors per pedal. Lights front and rear must meet relevent legislation BS / EU standard. How does this allow a driver to see hand signals?
Im not sure it does.
That is the problem with hand signals in the dark.

Sara_H

Guru
My route to work involves several steep hill right hand turns where I can't take hands of breaks to signal.

Another local cyclist told me to stick my knee out - so thats what I do!

apollo179

My route to work involves several steep hill right hand turns where I can't take hands of breaks to signal.

Another local cyclist told me to stick my knee out - so thats what I do!
You sound like a prime candidate for some nice electric indicator lights.

GrasB

Veteran
I've seen Bicygnals on the road and they're useless! At night you're barely aware of the orange flashing over the main rear light & they're not where near bright enough to be useful during most of the day & as show in that video, they're too close together so even when you're vaguely aware of them being on it's hard to tell which side they're flashing.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Indicator lights on bike are shoot.. simple...
I have seen them in action and they look no different from a normal flashing rear light. Use them and you would still need to use an arm signal.
Arm signals are what drivers expect, not crappy looking indicator lights.

GrasB

Veteran
For this very reason I have my brakes setup the opposite way to normal. My front brake is on my left hand so I can slow down effectively while signalling right. A signal to turn left is less important than the one to turn right - I late left signal anyway (this is a defence against persistent left hooking) & it's mainly a courtesy signal. The right signal is much more important as you're signalling a need to change your road position.

GrasB

Veteran
Indicator lights on bike are shoot.. simple...
I have seen them in action and they look no different from a normal flashing rear light. Use them and you would still need to use an arm signal.
Arm signals are what drivers expect, not crappy looking indicator lights.
I've seen motorbike 12v indicator lights mounted on racks & they work well, they have the power & there is good separation to give a clear idea of which way you're turning. The electronics was a real botch job but as a proof of concept it worked that made Bicygnals look like the kids toy is it.

Top Bottom