How to keep cars at bay.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Demonclimber

Climbing Ninja
Been out for a couple of rides recently on our crowded Lakeland roads and by jiminy cars are giving me LOADS of room. Result. Rest of the time try and stay on 'cycle paths' and generally folks OK but tutted at occasionally (As a number of cycle paths up here are actually too narrow for a couple of people to pass..... but that's another discussion). So, the secret of keeping the car at arms length? Seems to be the kiddie seat recently bolted on to ferry the little Pixie around. So, get one. A kiddie seat - not necessarily a Pixie and never have cars coming too close again. I'm sure Pinarello et al would only be too happy to produce matching kiddie seats and would provide a little extra weight for training - just think how fast you'll go once it comes off.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Been out for a couple of rides recently on our crowded Lakeland roads and by jiminy cars are giving me LOADS of room. Result. Rest of the time try and stay on 'cycle paths' and generally folks OK but tutted at occasionally (As a number of cycle paths up here are actually too narrow for a couple of people to pass..... but that's another discussion). So, the secret of keeping the car at arms length? Seems to be the kiddie seat recently bolted on to ferry the little Pixie around. So, get one. A kiddie seat - not necessarily a Pixie and never have cars coming too close again. I'm sure Pinarello et al would only be too happy to produce matching kiddie seats and would provide a little extra weight for training - just think how fast you'll go once it comes off.

If people don't have kids they could always make a mock-up using a balloon and an anorak with a hood. Perhaps some sort of springy thing through the sleeves with gloves on the end that would sort of wave up and down as you rode along. :smile:

ohnovino

Large Member
I rode to work today with an A3 whiteboard sticking out of my right pannier bag and everyone gave me loads of room, even though it wasn't sticking out any further than my handlebars. If you haven't got a whiteboard to hand, a cricket bat seems to work just as well.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Wish i had bought those orange plastic arms that Halfords used to sell, that always kept cars away

Did they really work? I used to think that they were useless but this opinion was not based on anything other than conjecture. Do you think that they were effective. I reckon it wouldn't be too hard to make something similar oneself.

Ben M

I'm worried about the aero effects of having a child seat, it must add a lot of drag. When you cruise everywhere at 25mph+ like I do, it makes a lot of difference ;)

Instead, I find that randomly swerving a small amount to the right for no reason usually makes them think "I should give him plenty of room".

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I find it helps if you look like this:
Doggles-The-Perfect-Bike-Goggles-For-Your-Dog.jpg

Motorists getting close will be so dumbstruck with the sight, wondering why a cap & goggle-wearing dog is riding a bicycle, that they'll give it a wide berth, just for its novelty value.

WARNING: The above post may contain traces of nuts.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Get a T-shirt like this and wear it under a green hi-viz vest. Police officers will do double-takes and on-coming drivers will give you plenaty of space. Avoid canal-side drunks though.

2_tone_ska_checks_t_shirts-rc48cbd604ae849f18e6db6416c122e22_va6lr_324.jpg

I'm worried about the aero effects of having a child seat, it must add a lot of drag. When you cruise everywhere at 25mph+ like I do, it makes a lot of difference ;)

Instead, I find that randomly swerving a small amount to the right for no reason usually makes them think "I should give him plenty of room".

Standing up and powering through, rocking the bike from side to side like you're Cav coming over the line can work well too :smile:

Top Bottom