How to keep my rear cassette looking shiny & new ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tiny01

Darren on Bkool
Well had the bike just about 4 months now & it's starting to show a few marks despite my best efforts to keep it nice and tidy & treated with kids gloves .

Is there anything that I can use to keep my rear cassette looking shiny & new though & it's starting to look a bit grubby , currently just wash , brush , use a degreser & give it a wipe over with a cloth after re lube ing the chain , is there anything I can use to keep it nice & shiny ?

The pic actually makes it look a bit better than it actually is !

image.jpg

Useless suggestion #1: Stop riding for a bit and let the rest of us catch up.

Useless suggestion #2:
mr+sheen.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Quick squirt of WD40 on cassette, then run a folded old cotton t-shirt (or similar rag) through the sprockets. Works a treat. You can clean it on the bike. PS don't get WD40 on the discs.

jamin100

Guru
Baby wipe folded over an old CD, insert between cogs, run cassette backwards

Exactly this

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Take off the cassette and put it in an ultrasonic bath with some Jizer engineering de-greaser. I triple-guarantee that it will come out all shiny, because I do it about twice a year. It looks dirty a week later though. So what?

simongt

Guru
There was a drivetrain lube called 'The White Stuff' or 'White Lightning' or similar a few years ago which claimed to absorb any dirt, grease etc. and cause it to fall off in wee lumps, keeping things all nice and shiny. Drawback was that your drivetrain had to be absolutely free of ANY muck etc., or traces of previous lubes before applying this stuff. Didn't seem to work for us though. :thumbsdown: As you don't mention it Tiny01, does not your chainset warrant the same attention to squeaky clean - ? :whistle:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Take it off, dismantle it and clean with white spirit it turps subs or paraffin. Clean the chain and chainrings as well.

Tin Pot

Guru
Well had the bike just about 4 months now & it's starting to show a few marks despite my best efforts to keep it nice and tidy & treated with kids gloves .

Is there anything that I can use to keep my rear cassette looking shiny & new though & it's starting to look a bit grubby , currently just wash , brush , use a degreser & give it a wipe over with a cloth after re lube ing the chain , is there anything I can use to keep it nice & shiny ?

The pic actually makes it look a bit better than it actually is !

View attachment 133818

Unless it's a weekend-only bike, forget it. Once I started commuting I tried a few times and then accepted that a functional bike has a different look to a garage queen.

Top Bottom