How to keep my rear cassette looking shiny & new ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clockworksimon

Über Member
I have always recycled old M&S mens cotton 'briefs' as bike cleaning cloths! Just right for stretching tight to clean between the cogs.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I have always recycled old M&S mens cotton 'briefs' as bike cleaning cloths! Just right for stretching tight to clean between the cogs.
I use Mrs FF's old thongs ....

Useless suggestion #2:
mr+sheen.jpg

Aw, come on ..... is nowhere Gove-free?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Babywipes are good but old cotton clothing seams squirted with GT85 are the best, in my experience.

h1udd

Buy a second wheel and cassette ... One for cycling and the other when you get back home and park the bike

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I will be trying the GT85/WD method tonight.
Babywipes are good but old cotton clothing seams squirted with GT85 are the best, in my experience.

I use a mix of two methods.both around the magic gt 85..not wd 40 which does not seem to work the same.
method one... for a proper clean, take off the block, break it down as much as poss, clean each sprocket with a cloth and a squirt of gt85. This will require two specific tools.

For a toolless quick and easy clean, take the wheel of, lean it at an angle that ensures nothing drips onto the rim and spray (using the red directional tube) gt85 directly to the sprockets. It will literally jet wash the metal back to new with no wiping or elbow grease. You will do the best part of a can of gt85 on a single block though.

Leave the block to drip off the excess gt 85 and wipe with a baby wipe to cut off the remainder...otherwise it will spread to the chain and apparently that's bad news.(something to do with the o rings or suchlike.)...don't tell anyone but I have occasionally treated my chain to this magic method....chain hasn't melted yet.

sgl5gjr

I use a decent orange based degreaser.....soak it & use a brush ...rinse off ...then blow dry with an air line.... shiny... then apply chain lube of choice....(not getting into that argument).... and it'll be black in 20 miles...lol...but at least the grit and sh*t will be out of it and the chain and won't wear out so fast....

Top Bottom