How to make tyres puncture proof

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TwoDlocks

I know a couple of ways to make tyres puncture proof which work well for road bikes with narraw tyres. One way is to cut up those foam camping mats into long thin strips the same width as the tyres and fill the tyre with them to the depth of the tyre. Then fit the tyre on the rim. It should be ridable and comfortable though might feel a bit mushy. Does not work for mountain bike or road bikes with tyres wider than 35C.

Another way is to get some rubberised paint from car shops the type that is used to rust proof the underside of cars. Paint the inside of the tyre with several thin layers allowing each to dry until there is at least a quarter of an inch thick layer of rubberised paint inside the tyre behind the part of the tyre that touches the road. This should give enormous protection against flats as it thickens the tyre wall where it is needed most.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Could you not buy some puncture protection tyres?

SimonC

I know a couple of ways to make tyres puncture proof which work well for road bikes with narraw tyres. One way is to cut up those foam camping mats into long thin strips the same width as the tyres and fill the tyre with them to the depth of the tyre. Then fit the tyre on the rim. It should be ridable and comfortable though might feel a bit mushy. Does not work for mountain bike or road bikes with tyres wider than 35C.

Another way is to get some rubberised paint from car shops the type that is used to rust proof the underside of cars. Paint the inside of the tyre with several thin layers allowing each to dry until there is at least a quarter of an inch thick layer of rubberised paint inside the tyre behind the part of the tyre that touches the road. This should give enormous protection against flats as it thickens the tyre wall where it is needed most.

:ohmy:

Never thought of filling my tires with an camping mat.

Have stuffed them with grass once after running out of spare tubes, I imagine the ride quality is about the same.

Chris S

Legendary Member
>> Another way is to get some rubberised paint from car shops the type that is used to rust proof the underside of cars.

If you mean underseal it's oil-based and will cause the rubber in the tyre to perish.

Have you thought about adding a very powerful vacuum cleaner to the front of your bike? It will suck up all the glass and thorns before you ride over them but will add a bit of weight to the bike. Especially over the front wheel which may alter the handling a bit.

tyred

Legendary Member
 Why not fill the tyres with concrete? May add a little weight to the bike but you won't have a puncture ever again*

*A triple sprung Brooks saddle is recommended with this method.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Here you go, jobs a good un http://www.greentyre.co.uk/26inch.html

May I suggest a full susser though

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Is there anyone on the board who has tried these?

I doubt they would be nice to use but I would be interested of hearing the opinions of a user.

Not I, I reckon they would be a pig to ride on and a pig to fit

Just read this as well

Performance Review
Greentyres do feel a little different. Riders using Greentyres for the first time will experience the difference.

Davidc

Guru
Why not fill the tyres with concrete? May add a little weight to the bike but you won't have a puncture ever again*

*A triple sprung Brooks saddle is recommended with this method.

It's a right bu**er getting the concrete through the valve, those tubes of silicone bathroom sealant work much better. You can get all sorts of colours too to match your bike.

If you have any royal icing left over from the Christmas cake you could try that - just put the piping bag end over the valve and squeeze. It could be a problem if a tyre hole lets any water in though, and if you live near York - Arch will try to eat your wheels.

Top Bottom