How to make tyres puncture proof

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grasen

to be a little bit serious:

I used 2 tires per rim for several years when I rode to work on terrible dirt roads.
before that I used to puncture every second day.

cut the kevlar edges off one and place inside another tire. tight fit first time but works a treat.

beancounter

to be a little bit serious:

I used 2 tires per rim for several years when I rode to work on terrible dirt roads.
before that I used to puncture every second day.

cut the kevlar edges off one and place inside another tire. tight fit first time but works a treat.

What you're describing is basically the Schwalbe Marathon Plus (if the weight is anything to go by, anyway).

bc

potsy

Rambler
Is there anyone on the board who has tried these?

I doubt they would be nice to use but I would be interested of hearing the opinions of a user.

Hackbike uses them and seems happy enough.I don't like the idea myself,just protected tyres do me

D

Deleted member 1258

forget tyres and tubes.
Ride on the rims.. viola... no punctures.

I was cycling home from work a couple of months ago, just coming out of Nuneaton, and I noticed a bloke on a mountain bike on the pavement and also started hearing a noise, when I got closer I could see he hadn't got a tyre on the front and he was riding on the rim. So someone has already tried your idea, although why a tyre on the back and none on the front I don't know, surly it should be the other way round, back normally punctures more than the front.

OP
OP
T

TwoDlocks

I know about these tyres http://www.greentyre.co.uk/26inch.html the only trouble is that now a days you can only buy them online!!! Many years ago Halfords used to sell them. Which was about the only useful bike related thing they ever sold.

I am sure a camping mat cut up into long strips would work for road bikes. By the way "so called" puncture resistant tyres are not that good, you will get fewer punctures but they are no way puncture proof. I have used them and still got punctures in them. They do last a lot longer than cheap tyres though.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
So you are giving a serous tip!

I think some readers tought you were on a wind up.

ShannonBall

Über Member
[sup]Ride a meter from the curb, that way you avoid most shards of glass. Stay out of the gutter people![/sup]

brodie

<br />I know a couple of ways to make tyres puncture proof which work well for road bikes with narraw tyres. One way is to cut up those foam camping mats into long thin strips the same width as the tyres and fill the tyre with them to the depth of the tyre. Then fit the tyre on the rim. It should be ridable and comfortable though might feel a bit mushy. Does not work for mountain bike or road bikes with tyres wider than 35C. <br /><br />Another way is to get some rubberised paint from car shops the type that is used to rust proof the underside of cars. Paint the inside of the tyre with several thin layers allowing each to dry until there is at least a quarter of an inch thick layer of rubberised paint inside the tyre behind the part of the tyre that touches the road. This should give enormous protection against flats as it thickens the tyre wall where it is needed most.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Or you get the ready-made version:
l_img_marathon_plus_cut.gif

Schwalbe Marathon Plus, weighs a ton though, 700x32mm is 800g

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I know about these tyres http://www.greentyre.co.uk/26inch.html the only trouble is that now a days you can only buy them online!!! Many years ago Halfords used to sell them. Which was about the only useful bike related thing they ever sold.

I am sure a camping mat cut up into long strips would work for road bikes. By the way "so called" puncture resistant tyres are not that good, you will get fewer punctures but they are no way puncture proof. I have used them and still got punctures in them. They do last a lot longer than cheap tyres though.

Why not save money on camping mats and use grass instead. This would surely be the green option and if you wove the grass together first and then plated it together I think you are on to a winner unless you work for a company trying to flog a load of old camping mats :thumbsup:

Top Bottom