How to not get bike stolen when sleeping in tent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Best of all is wild camping - your possessions are much safer when you are hidden.

very true - apart from the hedgehogs rummaging through your pans.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
you never know, someone could nick the bike just for your 'smalls' :eek:

True that enough, what with my usual flimsy notions ...

But I could disguise the true nature of the occupant of my tent by hanging a mahoosive gurt pair of blokes grundies off of my cross bar.

The bike after all itself is convincing enuff

raleighnut

Legendary Member
True that enough, what with my usual flimsy notions ...

But I could disguise the true nature of the occupant of my tent by hanging a mahoosive gurt pair of blokes grundies off of my cross bar.

The bike after all itself is convincing enuff
View attachment 560598
Maybe @Drago could rent you a pair of his..........................that'd keep everyone away

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Now wouldn't that make for a spiffing travelogue ?? :rolleyes:

Mudsticks and her faithfully protective undergrundies - sally forth on another rumbunctious, bicycling adventure.. :bicycle::crazy:

Must get onto my publisher with a pitch.
Never forget they're 'weapon grade' skiddies. :ohmy:

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
I always bring a lock on tour. It's heavy and inconvenient, but if I stop in a town, I do want to keep my bike locked. Having said that, no lock is foolproof. I go on the theory you try to make it as inconvenient as possible to the bike thief:

i. as I said I lock the bike up when I stop in a town, but obviously make sure the lock goes through both wheels and the frame
ii. I always take my qr saddle with me, whether leaving the bike parked up or at a camp site.
iii. I'll put the front wheel in the tent with me (OK, so I tour with a 2 person tent so I have enough space)
iv. I'll leave the bike out of gear (tricky one this as invariably I forget when I get back on the bike)
v. At the camp site I'll put stuff on the bike that creates any small kind of inconvenience -a towel, anything that when it falls off makes a noise
vi. I'll try to put the bike as close to the tent as possible.

All of the above won't stop a determined thief but I just hope I can create enough of an inconvenience to make them think there are easier pickings else where or it's just not worth it for them.

On tour I tend to carry a lightweight cable lock. You can rig lines from bike to tent to give you warnings of disturbance.
Most campsite bike theft seems to be off the back of cars.
The bike-as-tentpole seems to be a sensible weightsaving concept...until you want to bike into town fir shopping, bar or restaurant or you want to spend seveal days based in one campsite.

thanks - tho they are shown as out of stock, no price, and I can't see a weight from a fast scan.

They do look nicer than some I have seen but am confused by what they are made of - says plastic, but also powder coated to resist corrosion.

(I do have some smaller plastic screw-fastenings but they are for holding the edge of a tent, not something heavier that someone might be trying to drag out of the ground and away)

Top Bottom