How to not get bike stolen when sleeping in tent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
If you're bike touring and planning on sleeping in a tent, how do you make sure your bike does not get stolen from the camp ground when you're asleep? I doubt you would be able to fit the bike inside the tent with you. :shy: This might be a silly question, but it's a thought that came to my mind..

IaninSheffield

Veteran
It depends on the tent. Usually when bike touring, you're likely to be carrying a smaller, lighter tent which won't accommodate a bike, but that needn't necessarily be the case:

View: https://youtu.be/Go-uUsjOlGA

If having the bike in the tent with you doesn't float your boat, then a good bike lock might be the way to go. Most campsites tend to be relatively trouble-free, so once securely locked, it's no more, and probably less at risk than if chained somewhere in the city.

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

It depends on the tent. Usually when bike touring, you're likely to be carrying a smaller, lighter tent which won't accommodate a bike, but that needn't necessarily be the case:

View: https://youtu.be/Go-uUsjOlGA

If having the bike in the tent with you doesn't float your boat, then a good bike lock might be the way to go. Most campsites tend to be relatively trouble-free, so once securely locked, it's no more, and probably less at risk than if chained somewhere in the city.

what would you lock your bike to? Doubt they have those bike racks to lock your bike to.

raleighnut

Legendary Member

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
I asked a similar question on here several years back.
One of the best suggestions was to use two of those ground screw things with a loop at the top that people use for securing dog leads and presumably a dog to. If you put your lock through both of those there isn’t a way to unscrew them out of the ground.

OP
OP
O

oreo_muncher

One of the best suggestions was to use two of those ground screw things with a loop at the top that people use for securing dog leads and presumably a dog to. If you put your lock through both of those there isn’t a way to unscrew them out of the ground.
So put the lock where the metal stand thing is for the tent? I'm assuming your bike would have to be down flat on the ground and not up right for this? Do you have some sort of visual for this?

2 of those a bit big/heavy to carry?

rualexander

Legendary Member
Just use a cable lock and lock it to the nearest tree, fence, lamp post, or whatever.
Most campsites are pretty safe.
In 30 years of cycle touring, involving hundreds of nights camping in various countries, nothing untoward has happened to my bike on a campsite.

Pikey

Waiting for the turbo to kick in...
So put the lock where the metal stand thing is for the tent? I'm assuming your bike would have to be down flat on the ground and not up right for this? Do you have some sort of visual for this?
I never used them in the end. The tour I had planned back then got cancelled two days before (long story!).
My plan was to lie the bike down on one side over the top of them and lock it to the ground in essence.
Since then I’ve only credit card toured and stayed in pubs etc... which have let me either take the bike into my room or lock it in their cellar.

Top Bottom