How to not get bike stolen when sleeping in tent?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I mainly do wild camping in woods etc when out on bike tours and lock my bike to a nearby tree.

Mind you, I can't imagine there being many thieves about in random woods; I'll more likely encounter psychopath murders etc than thieves 😆

Tom B

Guru
We go carboot camping with a collection of bikes I have a 5mtr cable lock that I loop through the bikes and..

A) lock them together
B) put a Dlock through the car wheel and lock them to that.
C) lock around a fixed object

If camping on the bike I tend to hang pots and pans off it to make a noise if interfered with. Or put my long lock under the tent looped through the bike so if it gets moved I'll be roused (and angry)

I dare say you could lock it to an object on the site.

Heard some horror stories on here about thefts in France so when traveling I lock the bikes to the roof of the car and if stopping for any length of time such as when we stop and camp overnight in Calais to break the journey the Dlock and wheel make an appearance with the bikes remaining locked into the roof rack and with locks on them.

Practical tips:
Use an old bike or disguise a new one
Pay attention to choosing the best campground - rural over urban, small over large
Make friends with your neighbour(s)
Choose pitch with security in mind (if possible)
A lock or two, around the frame and something solid
In as awkward a place as possible
In as dark a place as possible
Use bungee cords in and around the wheels/spokes impossible to remove without distinctive noise.
Use a brake lock (can be a simple as a hairband around the brake)
Leave the bike in as difficult a gear as possible.

Having said all that, I rarely follow any of that!

I think it's helpful to take a "whole" view, a holistic approach, if you will. You could use a tent that uses the frame of the bike, but then you can't use the bike!
You could store the bike under the tent, but wait until you need to pee in the middle of the night!
You could load up with locks and alarms, but that will probably mean leaving things at home that will make the tour more comfortable or enjoyable.

Sitting at home thinking about a tour can be positive..... And it can be negative - thinking about all the things that can go wrong.
Bike theft happens, but very rarely in the touring world, especially in campgrounds. Personally, I'd have more anxiety leaving my bike in a dedicated room in a hotel when locals know what's in there and who knows who has access.
I don't know if you've camped before, but in a tent, at night, the noise can drive people crazy! It's the one time I regret having a pretty active imagination!^_^ It's far better to have a calm mind and not be thinking about hoardes of bike thieves lining up!

If travelling solo, a bigger issue is shopping/eating or visiting touristy places if that's your thing (And that's not particularly big either).

The fact of the matter is that people are generally good and helpful. It's probably sexist to say, but in my (male) experience females generally have more assistance offered. Asking in the campground for help or assistance, or simply voicing fears will often open up a whole list of new possibilities.

Bike touring is a wonderful experience. Apart from the travelling, the fresh air, the sights, the independence, it reminds us that "other" people are more like us than we might think.

Nothing wrong with anticipating problems, but I'd suggest you apply the appropriate weight to them.

And, oh, there's a search function you can use to see previous discussions^_^

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Bear bells help, if you are a light sleeper, otherwise, those alarms for house windows would be louder, are usually inexpensive. I have also used extra tent stakes with cord around them leading to a can with rocks in it, rings when somebody trips over the perimeter cord. Could do that with window alarm and magnet as well. BTW, touring bikes do not strike me as a popular theft item.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
If you're bike touring and planning on sleeping in a tent, how do you make sure your bike does not get stolen from the camp ground when you're asleep? I doubt you would be able to fit the bike inside the tent with you. :shy: This might be a silly question, but it's a thought that came to my mind..

I rarely worry about it, but I mostly wildcamp or stay on country sites.

Ii guess if your staying in a big town or city place they will likely have secure bike store.

A lot of hostels do.

Also hang a bunch of laundry off it at night - thats a good deterrent :laugh:

Last edited:

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Tour on a Brompton. It fits nicely inside my Vango Banshee :-)
And where do you sleep? :whistle:

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
Cable lock round something substantial, as close to the tent as possible, like this.
https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/post-a-touring-photo-no-explanation-needed-just-to-help-me-dream-i’ll-kick-off.261058/post-6104030

If that’s not possible I loop the cable through the frame and lock it to my cooking pots just under the fly sheet.

I’m sure bike theft must happen on campsites, but I have more concerns about leaving my loaded bike outside shops. I have a small bar bag for my valuables and documents that I remove and take with me.

Top Bottom