How to prevent repeated flats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bhitucyclist

Hi all , hope you are well,
Only few days left for my London to paris ride. So doing lots of practice.
But already had 2 flats in 2 months.
Any tips on how to prevent? Yesterday it was a very thin pin that punctured the inner tube... gives me the impression the tyre i got while buying this bike are not very good quality. Its Michelin Dynamic Sport.
Can you please suggest if i should change into something stronger w/o becoming slower?

Attachments

• 1D7C3EEE-BAA5-4685-9E45-B8BAFF531133.jpeg
    1D7C3EEE-BAA5-4685-9E45-B8BAFF531133.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 10

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'd caution against changing things this close to something you've been building up to. Unintended consequences may ensue. Instead perhaps check your kit list and make sure you have a repair kit as well as spare tubes. Make sure you have your puncture procedure down to a T. After all 1 per month isn't that many.

Lots of people will suggest their preferred puncture resistant tyres. I ride Durano Plus and hardly ever puncture. (However there are some who hold these tyres in low esteem ;) )

As for prevention check tyres pre ride and dig out any embedded bits of glass, flint or other sharps.

Last edited:
That’s a Triban bike, if I’m not very much mistaken. That model does come with those tyres as standard. They are quite cheap, and not particularly robust. If it was my choice, I’d say go for something like these.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-durano-plus-performance-folding-road-tyre-1/

Which are completely ‘bomb proof’, but relatively draggy / heavy.

Or these.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/michelin-pro4-endurance-v2-folding-tyre/

Which aren’t quite as ‘bomb proof’ but do roll better, in my experience.

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

I'd caution against changing things this close to something you've been building up to. Unintended consequences may ensue. Instead perhaps check your kit list and make sure you have a repair kit as well as spare tubes. Make sure you have your puncture procedure down to a T. After all 1 per month isn't that many.

Lots of people will suggest their preferred puncture resistant tyres. I ride Durano Plus and hardly ever puncture. (However there are some who hold these tyres in low esteem ;) )

As for prevention check tyres pre ride and dig out any embedded bits of glass, flint or other sharps.
Thanks... during the ride i wont have to worry there will be a support team to change tube etc... i dont even need to carry them... but ofcourse it will take time and slow me down ... i am already on the slow side !

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

That’s a Triban bike, if I’m not very much mistaken. That model does come with those tyres as standard. They are quite cheap, and not particularly robust. If it was my choice, I’d say go for something like these.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-durano-plus-performance-folding-road-tyre-1/

Which are completely ‘bomb proof’, but relatively draggy / heavy.

Or these.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/michelin-pro4-endurance-v2-folding-tyre/

Which aren’t quite as ‘bomb proof’ but do roll better, in my experience.
Ok thanks ... i need something that will be tougher but not slow me down anymore .

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
A massive part of puncture avoidance is looking where you ride and thinking about your position on the road.
Nervous, less confident riders will hug the gutter and ride in areas where the traffic doesn't go, like chevroned sections, parking bays and marked cycle lanes. This is where a lot of the potential puncture material resides and by riding there you are multiplying your chance of picking up a foreign body in your tyre.
More experienced, confident riders stay further out from the kerb/gutter and follow the driven line more of the time. This part of the road is effectively 'swept clean' by all the vehicles and offers the lowest risk of suffering a puncture if you can ride there. That pale, polished line where the left wheels of all the cars normally run is quite a good place to be.

Good luck on L2P. Make sure you have your puncture repair kit with you and have practiced using it :okay:

CXRAndy

Guru
Either fit Schwalbe touring tyres like Marathon plus which are extremely puncture proof, not 100% or fill (80 mil) of Orange endurance sealant in your inner tubes

Better still do both

For nicest feel and virtually puncture proof convert to tubeless with sealant.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Thanks... during the ride i wont have to worry there will be a support team to change tube etc... i dont even need to carry them...

What width are the tyres?

Fully supported, ace. Just make sure your tyres are properly inflated for the size and your weight, watch where you are riding and enjoy the trip.

Don't worry about what tyres you use at this point in the planning. As long as they are a smoothish road tyre you will be fine.

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

Fully supported, ace. Just make sure your tyres are properly inflated for the size and your weight, watch where you are riding and enjoy the trip.

Don't worry about what tyres you use at this point in the planning. As long as they are a smoothish road tyre you will be fine.
Yes the current ones are totally smooth ones

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Poor puncture protection I’m afraid with the Michelin Dynamic tyres, get a set of Continental Gatorskins and as above, don’t ride in the gutter.

Top Bottom