How to prevent repeated flats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Guess what i discovered... the front wheel is 25 but the back wheel is 23! Is int that bizzare ?
Yes. Sounds like they just put on whatever tyre they had to hand. Which tyre punctured?

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

Yes. Sounds like they just put on whatever tyre they had to hand. Which tyre punctured?
The back one 23 one ie... thats even more indicative ! Do you think i can ask for free replacement ... keeping in mind rhe bike is less than 3 months

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
OK, lets just hold on a minute. There is lots of advice being given here and not all of it relates to the OPs puncture problem and desire not to fit a 'slower' tyre (whatever one of those is?). Talk about tyre sizes, comfort and pressures are not dealing with the issue.

There is no discernable difference in the penetration puncture resistance of a 23/25/28mm tyre of the same type.

There is no discernable difference in the speed/effort/drag of a 23/25/28mm tyre of the same type.

Wider tyres may be better at avoiding pinch flats (Flat tyres caused by impact damage from hitting potholes or solid objects in the road where the inner tube is pinched between the object and the wheel rim) but only if running an appropriate pressure. Thinner tyres are ok if using an appropriate pressure (i.e at the higher end of what is recommended for the rider weight/tyre combination).

I wouldn't recommend swapping tyres at this point, just days before departure. I assume you are supported both mechanically and logistically (breakdown support and luggage transported to each days destination)? If this is the case then the 23mm tyres are just fine. All I would suggest is making sure the pressure is kept between 80-100psi to avoid pinch flats. Dare I ask how much you weigh?

EDIT: In light of your odd tyre situation perhaps ring the store and ask them to rectify it if this can be done before the big day. Most bike descriptions usually have the disclaimer that specification may change, etc, etc, so 23 or 25mm tyres is neither here nor there, but odd tyres certainly is not acceptable. Decathlon may well replace and upgrade the tyres, especially if you tell them of the importance of your upcoming trip. If they do, make sure you ride the bike before you set off, to make sure everything is alright.

vickster

Legendary Member
I didn't realise she was a pro rider.

How much slower does she think she would go
I hated marathon plus, heavy, slow, and slippery!
From prior posts, she’s mentioned being right on the cusp of the minimum speed needed for her ride (and bought a lighter bike to try to compensate). So even 1-2mph less could be an issue.

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

OK, lets just hold on a minute. There is lots of advice being given here and not all of it relates to the OPs puncture problem and desire not to fit a 'slower' tyre (whatever one of those is?). Talk about tyre sizes, comfort and pressures are not dealing with the issue.

There is no discernable difference in the penetration puncture resistance of a 23/25/28mm tyre of the same type.

There is no discernable difference in the speed/effort/drag of a 23/25/28mm tyre of the same type.

Wider tyres may be better at avoiding pinch flats (Flat tyres caused by impact damage from hitting potholes or solid objects in the road where the inner tube is pinched between the object and the wheel rim) but only if running an appropriate pressure. Thinner tyres are ok if using an appropriate pressure (i.e at the higher end of what is recommended for the rider weight/tyre combination).

I wouldn't recommend swapping tyres at this point, just days before departure. I assume you are supported both mechanically and logistically (breakdown support and luggage transported to each days destination)? If this is the case then the 23mm tyres are just fine. All I would suggest is making sure the pressure is kept between 80-100psi to avoid pinch flats. Dare I ask how much you weigh?

EDIT: In light of your odd tyre situation perhaps ring the store and ask them to rectify it if this can be done before the big day. Most bike descriptions usually have the disclaimer that specification may change, etc, etc, so 23 or 25mm tyres is neither here nor there, but odd tyres certainly is not acceptable. Decathlon may well replace and upgrade the tyres, especially if you tell them of the importance of your upcoming trip. If they do, make sure you ride the bike before you set off, to make sure everything is alright.
I am going to the store today and will check with them regarding the disparity in tyres. Will have to get the tube changed as well.
I weigh around 59 kg possibly slightly less now.
Yes i am also not sure about getting used to new type of tyres so late in the day ..when the ride is just 8 days away. I wont be riding a lot before the actual ride ... do get some rest... will do more of indoor cycling to keep the legs active.

vickster

Legendary Member
I am going to the store today and will check with them regarding the disparity in tyres. Will have to get the tube changed as well.
I weigh around 59 kg possibly slightly less now.
Yes i am also not sure about getting used to new type of tyres so late in the day ..when the ride is just 8 days away. I wont be riding a lot before the actual ride ... do get some rest... will do more of indoor cycling to keep the legs active.
Why do you need to get the tube changed? Is it still punctured? A 23mm and 25mm tyre take the same tube

Top Bottom