How to prevent repeated flats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I am going to the store today and will check with them regarding the disparity in tyres. Will have to get the tube changed as well.
I weigh around 59 kg possibly slightly less now.
Yes i am also not sure about getting used to new type of tyres so late in the day ..when the ride is just 8 days away. I wont be riding a lot before the actual ride ... do get some rest... will do more of indoor cycling to keep the legs active.
I'd just chill out and concentrate on the things you can control, like not forgetting your phone/charger. have you got your Aunty Ethel's postal address to send her a postcard, lucky socks, re-reading through any info the organisers have supplied - like must-have kit, stuff like that.

You're fully supported - that should de-stress the ride a lot. Take advantage of that fact and have a great ride. If you can wangle a free tyre out of Decathlon - all well and good. If not, pfffft.

I did a bit of cycling in France last week and didn't get a single puncture, and nor did my wife. This is definitive proof that punctures are very rare in France.

Have a great time!

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

I'd just chill out and concentrate on the things you can control, like not forgetting your phone/charger. have you got your Aunty Ethel's postal address to send her a postcard, lucky socks, re-reading through any info the organisers have supplied - like must-have kit, stuff like that.

You're fully supported - that should de-stress the ride a lot. Take advantage of that fact and have a great ride. If you can wangle a free tyre out of Decathlon - all well and good. If not, pfffft.

I did a bit of cycling in France last week and didn't get a single puncture, and nor did my wife. This is definitive proof that punctures are very rare in France.

Have a great time!
Sound advice !

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

Why do you need to get the tube changed? Is it still punctured? A 23mm and 25mm tyre take the same tube
I think the tube is punctured ... i took out the wire that was sticking out of the tyre... its amazing such a thin wire penetrated thru the tyre and punctured the inner

My experience of changing a single tyre size (2 or 3 mm - same brand of tyre) is that the difference is imperceptible. Changing brands, may be perceptible in feel but the impact on speed is marginal at most. You'll save more time by concentrating on weeing quicker at rest stops.
Try doing 150+ miles, on each one, with power meters on the bike. You’d be surprised how many Watts go down the pan between 23 and 28mm tyres, of the same brand / make / design. The London Paris is definitely an endurance distance event, that amount of power sap would be noticeable.

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

Try doing 150+ miles, on each one, with power meters on the bike. You’d be surprised how many Watts go down the pan between 23 and 28mm tyres, of the same brand / make / design. The London Paris is definitely an endurance distance event, that amount of power sap would be noticeable.
I have done around 300 miles on the new bike... with the existing tyres of varying width... so if i can get the tyres to the same width hopefully it will be still ok .

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler

If you need a power meter to detect the difference, that's pretty much undetectable in my book. It's swamped by other factors - wind, weather, hills, road surfaces, quality of lunch, last night's curry, alignment of the planets etc. Not worth worrying about unless you are in a race.

OP
OP
Bhitucyclist

Bhitucyclist

Hi all ... i went to the decathlon store and told them about the unmatched tyres... they were ready to a matching one for free... but said the tyre i have is really cheap and prone to punctures ... they said its a cheap bike ! Hah ... not for me! But anyways i got the michelin endurance. 4 fitted. They were suggesting. Gatorskin... i remembered the comments here so stayed away. Its the 25 width . The bike rolls just like before so it feels fine. The guy at the store was very helpful and showed me the existing tyre ... it is so flimsy ... i might as well ride on the inner tubes! No wonder it gave way over the weekend i rode over 90 miles.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
The roads on the French side, and Avenue Verte if you use it are in much better condition than over here. I returned from Paris just a few days ago and encountered no debris or other puncture causing materials to cause concern. So once you are over the channel you'll find it much better. I swear the smoothness of their Tarmac adds 1-2mph to my speed.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
In my experience, an inflated marathon plus is faster than a deflated anything.

Wet weather is approaching with autumn and the chance of punctures increase.

CXRAndy

Guru
Nope, they are no better than any other p* resistant tyre, but a load more hassle when they do puncture, in my experience, they also cost a lot more usually.

I guess we will have to disagree on that. I do like Tubeless and it has saved me on a couple of occasions from serious crash with slow deflation.

Top Bottom