How to prevent repeated flats

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CXRAndy

Guru
Thanks. I am hoping so too. :smile: ... first day thru the A20 and i might be quite alone if i cant keep up with my group. But i can see the route is straight and will be marked i believe

If the group is minded to stay together, this will help you alot. I don't know your route or scheduled stop points, but generally riders group together with ability/pace

silva

Über Member
I mounted a V brush on the front so the road gets cleaned before the tires arrive.
Now thinking of also putting a magnet in it.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I weigh around 59 kg possibly slightly less now.
OP - you've had fitted Michelin Pro4 Endurance (aiui). At 59kg plus a 9kg bike the front/rear pressures recommended by the authoritative Bicycle Quarterly article (attached) suggests 57psi and 76psi. These tyres are well up the rolling resistance table (ie low) so, though you'll not feel it, you'll benefit from 5+ watts not lost (cf the old ones). Here's a comparison (together with a Conti 4 Seasons which I fit in the winter): https://www.bicyclerollingresistanc...port-2015-vs-michelin-pro-4-endurance-v2-2015
By swapping you have reduced your rolling resistance and increased the level of puncture 'protection'.
Before the ride, I'd recommend deflating the tyres, taking them off, refitting them and inflating them to a specific pressure, in the comfort of home, so you are more practised in the unlikely case (with the Pro4s), that you find yourself puncturing. And you'll commit to memory those pressures, just in case.
I got 6000+km out of my last Pro4 Endurance (on the rear) with one puncture (snakebite after failing to keep up to pressure).
I did a bit of cycling in France last week and didn't get a single puncture,
So did I, but there a few by the side of the road mending theirs: still with 6000+ on the road for 1200km, you'd expect a few - and 'supported' it was not.

Attachments

• TyreInflationPressures.pdf
    201.6 KB · Views: 3
Top Bottom