How to raise my handlebars...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

azibux

Hi all,

First post here so hopefully it is in the correct section

I have a Coyote Hooch mountain bike, a couple of years ago I wanted to raise the handlebars as they are a bit too low. I bought either an adjustable stem, or a stem raiser, can't remember which... But for some reason there was an issue and it wasn't compatible with the bike.

Now I can't remember what the specific issue was unfortunately as it was so long ago, but don't want to buy something again now for the same issue to appear.

I can't remember if the bolt was too short after adding the new parts... Or if it simply didn't fit...

I have attached some pictures to hopefully help. The bike uses this 'cartridge system' to add those small rings in to raise it, or you put the rings above the stem if you want it lower... But mine are already at the bottom and I'd like to raise it further

Can somebody please have a look at the pics and hopefully tell me the name of a product that would be compatible to raise my handlebars?

Hope you can help

Eo6gqUdl.jpg

tLMbVxYl.jpg

ZJrAg8Yl.jpg

vd2vnB8l.jpg

RebornBumbler

A longer, more severe-angled or adjustable stem (as you already surmised) would be the cheapest/easiest option - just make sure the two sizes are correct: steerer (probably 1 1/8", but might be 1") and bars (likely 25-26mm or 31.8mm). If you fit the stem and find that there is still some steerer showing at the top, you'll need an extra spacer to fit below (with the others).

Another route would be riser bars (again, check the diameter) - you can always cut some off the ends if they're too long.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/handlebars/mtb-riser-bars

andrew_s

Legendary Member
A replacement stem is required to raise the handlebars.
You have to buy one that takes the same size steerer tube (silver in your photos) and the same size handlebars.
The steerer tube could be 1" (25.4 mm), 1 1/8" (28.6 mm) or 1 1/4" (31.8 mm)
The handlebars (diameter at the clamp) will be either 25.4 mm or 31.8 mm. (there is also a 26 mm size, but that's drop bars only).
Shims are available to use smaller bars or steerers in larger clamps (a 1" to 1 1/8" steerer shim is often supplier with 1 1/8" stems).

A ruler is all you need to use to identify the sizes of your steerer and handlebars.

A fixed size stem will be stiffer and lighter and have nothing to go wrong with it. They are available in quite high rises (eg 1 1/8", 25.4 or 1 1/8", 31.8, 65deg 1 1/8", 31.8). However, if you find that the bars still aren't in the right position and you can't put it right by moving spacer rings, you have to buy another one.

Adjustable stems are heavier, and the adjustment bolt can sometimes come loose mid-ride (depends on design as well as tightness).
Most (like that above) adjust on a circular arc so that higher is also closer, but this 1 1/8",31.8 Genetic Juzzi stem has two pivots to allow more variability in bar positioning.

It's one of those weird legacy things that steerer tube sizes are always quoted in inches, but handlebar diameters are always quoted in mm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

azibux

Thank you very much for all the responses everyone, keep them coming please :smile:

The next step seems to rely on me knowing the sizes, so I'll try and measure the steerer and bars tomorrow and then hopefully find something suitable.

I see that the spacers (now I know what they're called, thanks!) are easy to buy also, providing I know the size

Also one more question, on the stems people have linked to, for the bolt that goes downwards into the steerer ... Do I just use my same parts I already have? Same bolt and the 'top part' in my picture with coyote written on it? Is that guaranteed to fit into the stem I buy?

OP
OP
A

azibux

Got some measurements now

Steerer seems to be 1 1/8". I have no calipers so didn't have a very accurate way of measuring the bar diameter, but luckily it says 25.4 on it. I also took the bars out of the stem, put the stem back together leaving a small gap (like when the bars are fitted) and the 25.4mm seems correct

fYaebhKl.jpg

cJxyuOJl.jpg

Now I'll look for some products that will fit. I ideally would want an adjustable stem for obvious reasons, but I'm slightly put off by the comment below. What design should I be looking for please? Any specific brands that are good?

Adjustable stems are heavier, and the adjustment bolt can sometimes come loose mid-ride (depends on design as well as tightness).

If I see anything I'll put some links here too :smile:

Thanks all :smile:

OP
OP
A

azibux

Hmm okay I will take a look

Couple of questions

Are all handlebar grips universal size? Am I right in saying that just the part of the bar that gets clamped varies in size?

Also, with regards to the bolt going downwards into my stem, and the 'top' that days coyote, do I put that in the new stem? A lot of stems are pictured without these parts.

Thanks!

RebornBumbler

Yes, and yes - but as mentioned before, if after fitting the new stem you have no gap from the top to the steerer (or even a bit of steerer protruding), you'll need an additional thin spacer to go above or below - there needs to be a bit of distance between the top of the steerer and the top of the stem, so that the cap when tightened pulls the steerer up.

OP
OP
A

azibux

Yes, and yes - but as mentioned before, if after fitting the new stem you have no gap from the top to the steerer (or even a bit of steerer protruding), you'll need an additional thin spacer to go above or below - there needs to be a bit of distance between the top of the steerer and the top of the stem, so that the cap when tightened pulls the steerer up.
Thanks

Just been out to check it out and I understand what you mean now about the spacers and pulling up the steerer

Will post back here with an update of what I've bought later today or tomorrow

OP
OP
A

azibux

I got one of those, still working fine after years :smile:. Just a note for the future: steer clear*** of adjustable stems, as they start to "self-adjust" after a while, which gets a bit annoying.

*** I couldn't help myself.
Haha thanks I'll remember that :smile:

Top Bottom