How to remove a patch from a inner tube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
How do I remove a patch that is leaking a small amount of air from a inner tube
Unless you are stuck and unable to get hold of a replacement tube - don't. If the patch has failed then bin the tube and get a new one.

If you're really stuck and can't get a new tube then maybe just put a new, bigger, patch over the whole thing. Until you can get a new tube.

I'm a big fan of patching damaged tubes rather than wastefully binning them, but there are limits.

hatler

Guru
I have occasionally patched over a patch (with the end result looking like a Venn diagram) but it usually fails at some indeterminate point.

I have also been able to simply peel old patches off if you pick at one edge or by putting a slit in the middle.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
How do I remove a patch that is leaking a small amount of air from a inner tube
If the patch is badly stuck down, it should come off easily.

If the patch is stuck down pretty well apart from just the one bit that isn't, I would lift the leaking bit with a pin/nail/pencil/whatever and squirt some rubber solution in. Let the air get in for a couple of minutes so the solution goes tacky, then squeeze the patch on tight for a few minutes. (I put a 2p coin either side of the tube and clamp them together with a pair of Mole grips. Left for an hour, the result is a very well attached patch.)

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
The rubber solution will have bonded the patch to the rubber of the inner tube. Unless it’s a really loose patch you really don’t want to try and remove that’ll tear the inner tube. Squeeze more solution in if you can then press hard.

tyred

Legendary Member
Wear it away with sandpaper. It will be bonded to the tube and you will rip the tube if you try to pull it of.

If it comes off easily it wasn't stuck properly in the first place.

Good morning,

I agree with the it should be difficult type answers and I have also found with many thin inner tubes that once there is a hole then that tube has a limited life, maybe 1,000 miles or less.

The holed area becomes some form of weak spot and the tube starts to tear under the compression/relaxation cycle as the wheel goes round, so even a good repair starts to leak as the original leak becomes a tear that is a few millimetres long and this is too much for the patch to contain.

Most puncture repair kits like to give a range of patch sizes and I get the best results using the biggest available even though it seems overkill. Little rounds patches that are 2cm in diameter seem to have particularly short lives, even if you did get 12 in the kit.

Bye

Ian

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
If the patch has failed then bin the tube and get a new one.

I'm a big fan of patching damaged tubes rather than wastefully binning them, but there are limits.
I’m a S.O.C.C , that’s stingy old club cyclist make everything last . But on this I agree totally with Mr Trousers .

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'd also add that if you applied the patch that is now leaking, it might be a good time to review your patching technique. This shouldn't happen.

hatler

Guru
Good morning,

I agree with the it should be difficult type answers and I have also found with many thin inner tubes that once there is a hole then that tube has a limited life, maybe 1,000 miles or less.

The holed area becomes some form of weak spot and the tube starts to tear under the compression/relaxation cycle as the wheel goes round, so even a good repair starts to leak as the original leak becomes a tear that is a few millimetres long and this is too much for the patch to contain.

Most puncture repair kits like to give a range of patch sizes and I get the best results using the biggest available even though it seems overkill. Little rounds patches that are 2cm in diameter seem to have particularly short lives, even if you did get 12 in the kit.

Bye

Ian
I have patches that last thousands of miles, in fact most of them do. Very very rarely does an existing patch fail.

Top Bottom