HOW TO, repair a Wheelie-bin (badly)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all just a footnote for history

I just have had a wheel, come off my wheelie-bin.
Found it in the street, ripped off by them Refuse collectors.
The wheel had only half inch of bearing left on it.
So what to do, when I put it back on it wobble badly.
So I took it off again and filled it up with gorilla glue.
Guess what it's just done it's second full load, of wheelie-bin contraband.
So far a good result, what’s your best repair with glue?
Discounting of course anything that blows up!!!
:becool::whistle:

I had a cracked roof tile on my terraced house roof. It was an edge tile, cemented in place. Replacing it officially requires scaffolding. I tied on a safety line, lashed my home made roof ladder ( glued and screwed with gorilla glue) in place and reached out to glue the tile back together in-situ using gorilla expanding glue. Water now flows over the surface of the tile as it should.

Globalti

Legendary Member
You need scaffolding to go on your own roof?

Oops. I quite often stroll around checking my solar tubes and my flaunching. Oooer missus.

keithmac

Guru
I genuinely thought you could do nearly anything on your own property.

A roofer could sue you for "duty of care" if he fell off your roof though without proper equipment?.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
My cycing club mate decided to push the Dura Ace rear mech down tube shift lever parallel with the down tube (they weren't meant to do that). Damaged the stop on the inside. I was fuming as it was brand new, and the levers were around £75, 30 years ago ! Opened it up, and superglued a small bit of airfix plastic against the damaged 'stop'. It's worked as a fix for 30 years now.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Years ago in a storm a ridge tile blew off the roof of Chez Drago and broke in two as it struck the ground below.

The next day I recovered the 2 halves, brushed off the dirt, and glued them back in place with a variety of Sikaflex intended for glueing spall liners into armoured personnel carriers. This was intend as a temporary measure until I could get the correct replacement tile.

A couple of months later I finally sourced the correct tile and went up on the roof to remove the broken one. Try as I might the old one wouldn't come off. Nearly a decade later it's still there.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
The day before we set off on a Spanish road trip I put the car in for a valet at one of those car park car wash places where the nice friendly Eastern European laddie partially pushed the OSR quarter light window out of the frame. First I noticed was next morning when we were loading for the trip.

:sad:

Out came the super glue and after popping the window completely I ran a bead around the edge. Pushed it back in and set off fully expecting it to fall out at any moment.

5000 miles later, it's still in there ^_^

gbb

Legendary Member
Genuine story, my dad repaired a holed wingtip on an Avro Vulcan with a big pot of Araldite.
It was being brought into a hangar for a quick turnaround and they clipped its wingtip. It was due to go out asap. Various officers and support staff of ever higher authority got involved with much consternation. Dad was airframes, he'd pored over the drawings and nothing structural was damaged...hence his suggested repair, which was successful.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I smashed a table lamp, which I think must have been slip-moulded from very fine white clay as it was only about 5mm thick. Was a bit upset so picked up the PVA glue and swiftly discovered that it was perfect for the job because the clay absorbed the water and the PVA hardened in minutes. Within an hour I had completely rebuilt the lamp, which has survived all Mrs Gti's attempts to see it off. One day I shall mix up a coloured filler and finish the job.

20191201_211901.jpg

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I've "repaired" quite a few leaking pipes with bandages of glass fibre tape and a coating of polyester resin. One was an incoming mains pressure lead pipe carrying water at over six bar pressure. It lasted for years until Thames Water gave us a blue PVC replacement.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You can but most deaths from falls from height happen at home.
I saw an elderly bloke the other day teetering on a pair of step ladders,trying to scrape moss off his quite high bungalow roof,with a long handled wire brush. My thoughts were of Rod Hull of 'Rod and Emu' fame,who went up on his roof one stormy night to fix his tv aerial and ended up brown bread.:stop:

Slick

Guru
I saw an elderly bloke the other day teetering on a pair of step ladders,trying to scrape moss off his quite high bungalow roof,with a long handled wire brush. My thoughts were of Rod Hull of 'Rod and Emu' fame,who went up on his roof one stormy night to fix his tv aerial and ended up brown bread.:stop:
Exactly. Why risk it?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I wonder if A&E get a spike of ladder injuries at this time of year from people putting up Christmas lights along their roofs.

Top Bottom