How to reply to school newsletter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Nothing new, I missed it but both my younger sisters had to wear reflective armbands when walking to/from school. This was early/mid 70's.
Not much use when you can't see 10 foot in front of you, due to fog.

One lad used to try getting of the bus just before the junction. Conductors used to shut one side and block the other. The last time he tried it was foggy, he mis-timed it and failed to let go, quick enough.

The lampost he hit stopped any further forward movement. And broke his hold on the rail.

Big Andy

Über Member
To be fair the letter doesnt say that they didn't see the cyclists but that it was difficult to see them.

So if a parent could do something that makes them even easier to see how is that not sensible?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
To be fair the letter doesnt say that they didn't see the cyclists but that it was difficult to see them.

So if a parent could do something that makes them even easier to see how is that not sensible?
It doesn't work and even if it did, it could only be by beggaring their neighbours. Drivers must drive within what they can see to be clear, else someone not in hi vis is going to get run over, whether a schoolchild or Mrs Muggins... and even if it worked and you convinced all pedestrians ever to wear Yellow Stars, you ain't gonna tag all wildlife and killing that would still be pretty awful. So no, let's insist on stopping motorists injuring, rather than intimidating their victims.

Big Andy

Über Member
It doesn't work and even if it did, it could only be by beggaring their neighbours. Drivers must drive within what they can see to be clear, else someone not in hi vis is going to get run over, whether a schoolchild or Mrs Muggins... and even if it worked and you convinced all pedestrians ever to wear Yellow Stars, you ain't gonna tag all wildlife and killing that would still be pretty awful. So no, let's insist on stopping motorists injuring, rather than intimidating their victims.
Nothing at all against doing all that can be done to stop motorists or anyone else for that matter injuring anyone else in fact I encourage it. However i dont see how that precludes parents making their kids as conspicuous as possible. Suggesting parents shouldnt do this because drivers should be better i
doesnt seem, at least to me, either realistic or sensible.
Sometimes pragmatism needs to trump principle.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Road Safety - Cyclists
A concerned parent has advised that four students were cycling along Church Road, near the Golf Club, one morning without high vis jackets or arm bands; the lane is very tight and with the now dark mornings it was difficult to see them. Please could cyclists ensure they are suitably attired when cycling to and from school for their own and others' safety. Thank you.

Arm bands? Just how heavily was it raining?

Drago

Legendary Member
It is possible to make people and objects more visibly conspicuous.

However, there is little evidence that translates to safety. The governments own research via the TRL could find no improvement in accident rates among the wearers of hi vis. People crash into things because they weren't looking, not because they couldn't see them.

fatblokish

Guru
Recommend that the school contact Modeshift http://www.modeshift.org.uk/about-modeshift , may be some good will come of it.

Anecdata - sorry! But if the adults who contribute to CC have their stories/perceptions about close and aggressive passes, I reckon school kids would have MANY, MANY more. Just personal observation from around a couple of schools where I've worked.

Guessing you're a parent. Question - do your children cycle to the school?

No. I have two, the oldest goes on the bus to the school in question, and the youngest is still in the primary in the village. It's about 4 miles to the school, so we can't be in two places at once.
Just to be clear, I'm not trying to say that people shouldn't take their kids to school in cars, I am trying to point out to the school that they are looking at road safety from the wrong way in this case.

Back to this post.

Sorry folks. Harsh but true. As things stand, the school (as in whoever produces the newsletter!) ain't going to be persuaded.

Until there's a packet of reports, with registration numbers, from kids, reported to school staff ... on which the school have taken no action.

And that's their weak point ... that's when they're vulnerable to charges of double standards, where the school has failed to act to protect their pupils.

Bleak outlook? :sad:

No. I have two, the oldest goes on the bus to the school in question, and the youngest is still in the primary in the village. It's about 4 miles to the school, so we can't be in two places at once.
Just to be clear, I'm not trying to say that people shouldn't take their kids to school in cars, I am trying to point out to the school that they are looking at road safety from the wrong way in this case.
Oops - cross-posted.

[edited to add] ... but (disappointed) point stands? Until the school have cast-iron and enumerated examples of them failing in their duty of care, the numpty who produces the newsletter is impregnable? :cursing:

Last edited:
And this is the reply_

Dear Mr

Many thanks for your message regarding our newsletter article about cycling. Our primary concern was the safety and wellbeing of our students. We are delighted that many of our students cycle to school and we are keen to promote the health benefits. Having been contacted by a concerned member of the public we felt that the concerns raised were grounds to remind our students of the Highway Code Rule 59, which states that cyclists should wear:

· a cycle helmet which conforms to current regulations, is the correct size and securely fastened

· appropriate clothes for cycling. Avoid clothes which may get tangled in the chain, or in a wheel or may obscure your lights

· light-coloured or fluorescent clothing which helps other road users to see you in daylight and poor light

· reflective clothing and/or accessories (belt, arm or ankle bands) in the dark.

Since the Highway Code places responsibility on the cyclist to wear clothing which helps other road users to see them in daylight and poor light, we felt it only right to reinforce that responsibility to our students. We did not intend in any way to undermine or reduce the responsibility of motorists to drive with due care and attention, especially on the country lanes which surround the Academy. Thank you for raising the issue; we will continue to look out for the health and safety of our students in whatever way we can.

Kind regards,

I give up

Top Bottom