How to reply to school newsletter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
And this is the reply_

Dear Mr

Many thanks for your message regarding our newsletter article about cycling. Our primary concern was the safety and wellbeing of our students. We are delighted that many of our students cycle to school and we are keen to promote the health benefits. Having been contacted by a concerned member of the public we felt that the concerns raised were grounds to remind our students of the Highway Code Rule 59, which states that cyclists should wear:

· a cycle helmet which conforms to current regulations, is the correct size and securely fastened

· appropriate clothes for cycling. Avoid clothes which may get tangled in the chain, or in a wheel or may obscure your lights

· light-coloured or fluorescent clothing which helps other road users to see you in daylight and poor light

· reflective clothing and/or accessories (belt, arm or ankle bands) in the dark.

Since the Highway Code places responsibility on the cyclist to wear clothing which helps other road users to see them in daylight and poor light, we felt it only right to reinforce that responsibility to our students. We did not intend in any way to undermine or reduce the responsibility of motorists to drive with due care and attention, especially on the country lanes which surround the Academy. Thank you for raising the issue; we will continue to look out for the health and safety of our students in whatever way we can.

Kind regards,

I give up

I'm surprised that they didn't insist on all bikes being fitted with a bell as well. :rolleyes:

To be honest, you've done your bit and raised the point and as @Drago has said you'll risk driving yourself potty by trying to change the attitude of the school. In my experience the majority of those involved in formal education (Wiki: the acquisition of knowledge, skills, values, beliefs, and habits) are seldom wrong about anything.

(Not very) Interesting fact: When I was at school we were expressly forbidden from cycling to school*.
The official reason was that it was near a busy road.
The unofficial reason was that the school were sick of the fall out from the number of bikes that got nicked.

* - a rule that was relaxed immediately when the bus drivers went on strike

winjim

Smash the cistern
I would reply by asking the Head to speak to an English teacher and ask them "What is the difference between should and must" .
By all means do that, but then never ever complain when a driver breaks rule 163 or similar. Live by the sword etc

I think if the HC advises something, the school is correct to follow that advice. Take it up with the HC.

Last edited:

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here
This is my opening gambit-

To the Headmaster,

In response to the article in the newsletter of the 6 October headed “Road Safety- Cyclists”, I would like to point out that this is wrong on many levels, and is effectively shifting the burden of blame for any potential accident from someone who is piloting a device that weighs in many cases in excess of a tonne and is capable of fast acceleration and high speeds, and has sat a test to prove their competence to drive it, to a child on a bike.

It concerns me that a number of parents who drive their children to school seem to be unable to give due consideration to other road users and driving conditions and are having difficulty appreciating that students will be cycling or walking to school. The person who reported the four cyclists evidently saw them in the road and they had every right to be there so I would suggest that the real issue here is that he/ she was held up or nearly hit someone through driving inappropriately for the road and / or conditions.

There is no requirement in law for a cyclist to wear high vis jackets or arm bands; indeed if drivers are not suitably paying attention to other road users when driving it won’t help at all. If I may make an analogy here would you issue body armour to a bullying victim or tackle the cause of the bullying?

By all means promote the use of lights on cycles that are ridden in low light conditions, and a common sense approach to road safety and adherence to the law among your pupils who cycle, but please also put forward the many health related benefits that can also come from cycling, along with a strong message that parents who drive their children to school, or pick them up (and I am one who occasionally does just that) have a responsibility to -

· Obey the law

· Drive in way that respects the rights of other road users.

Regards,

We shall see.

Not sure if it's too late, but I'd avoid pointing out that it's not a legal requirement to wear high vis, that's not really relevant. The relevant point is whether it would be beneficial to the safety of 'vulnerable' cyclists (not saying that's right, just saying that's how they'll see it), so give them the facts: http://www.cyclist.co.uk/in-depth/1016/does-fluoro-kit-make-you-safer

winjim

Smash the cistern
By all means do that, but then never ever complain when a driver breaks rule 163 or similar. Live by the sword etc

I think if the HC advises something, the school is correct to follow that advice. Take it up with the HC.
A further thought: What does bikeability have to say on the matter and does their advice conflict with that given in the HC? Does the school offer bikeability? Could you perhaps suggest it?

winjim

Smash the cistern
[QUOTE 4998798, member: 45"]What should my child wear to take part in Bikeability?
Your child may wear their normal clothes, suitable for the season and weather. In colder months, warm layers and gloves are recommended.

The Bikeability scheme delivering the training may stipulate that helmets are required for training, and may provide children with high visibility tabards to wear.

For more information about safety equipment and what to wear, see the Highway Code’s ‘Rules for Cyclists’.

https://bikeability.org.uk/faqs/[/QUOTE]
Well there you go. HC recommends hi-vis, Bikeability refers to the HC, it would appear perfectly reasonable for the school to also recommend it.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Yeah you can't win your way, if you want to push this you need to provide evidence of parents' or teachers driving that is against the highway code, the standard has been set by them, and that is that is any broken rule that is against a 'should' in the highway code is worthy of a letter to all parents. You cannot expect your word to be taken as gospel unlike the previous concerned individual so you need to take photos on your smart phone.

Top Bottom