How to reply to school newsletter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
In which way?

I'm thinking about a reply ATM.
Putting the onus for being seen on those that cycle. None of the pieces mentioned are actually a legal requirement.

Hi-Vis in broad daylight blends into the background too easily, which can actually make it harder see. Contrasting colours work better.

Drago

Legendary Member
In which way?

I'm thinking about a reply ATM.

I think I'd give it up mate. You'll never win, and you'll lose your sanity trying.

I think I'd suggest to them that they only send out road safety advice from someone actually qualified to give it. After all, they wouldn't let me teach a French class because I'm not qualified, so why do they suddenly feel compelled to give advice themselves in matters in which they have no expertise?

Beyond that, I'd leave it. Idiots drag you down to their levelmof you let them.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Nothing at all against doing all that can be done to stop motorists or anyone else for that matter injuring anyone else in fact I encourage it. However i dont see how that precludes parents making their kids as conspicuous as possible. Suggesting parents shouldnt do this because drivers should be better i
doesnt seem, at least to me, either realistic or sensible.
Sometimes pragmatism needs to trump principle.
What if the child feels like a bit of a dick wearing a bright yellow jacket and shoves it in their pocket as soon as they're round the corner or refuses to ride their bike or walk if they're made to wear it? The wearing of a hi-viz jacket should not be the reason why Jimmy gets knocked over but Alison doesn't, neither of them should be, no matter what they're wearing.

Last edited:

snorri

Legendary Member
Road Safety - Cyclists A concerned parent has advised that four students were cycling
Perhaps the headie should be asked why he has given such high priority to an issue raised by just ONE parent, and why he has decided to come down on all cyclists just because four cyclists may have offended his feelings.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Use hard evidence.
My daughter's school sent out a newsletter just as summer was starting up. The school were very much in favour of children riding their bikes to school especially as they'd just finished installing their new bike stands (they're crap) but advised parents to ensure their kids wore helmets while doing so for their own safety.
Uh oh.
I emailed the head mistress with my own views on their enforced use and safety and gave links to various studies regarding their safety etc.
To date, no one has replied and there have been no further advice columns regarding cycling since.
Maybe they just can't be arsed arguing with me but I like to think that I made them think.

Drago

Legendary Member
At risk of igniting a helmet debate (not my intention, up just illustrating a point) you could eductate the head teacher that cycling accounts for 6.5% of all serious head injuries admitted to hospital. This is terrible, and we should all clearly forsake our bicycles and walk.

Except that pedestrians account for 43%.

The head should leave the giving of advice to someone qualified to do so, and it should be inclusive of all modes of transport, and not just inexplicably one that isn't the most dangerous.

Top Bottom