How to stop bolts from loosening

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BurningLegs

Veteran
The bolts that hold my pannier rack on keep rattling loose. What’s the best way to try and prevent this? Bolts with the little nylon grippers, loctite, just tighten the hell out of them in the first place, or something else entirely?

D

Deleted member 26715

The bolts that hold my pannier rack on keep rattling loose.
What’s the best way to try and prevent this?
Bolts with the little nylon grippers,
Nyloc's yes
Yes
just tighten the hell out of them in the first place,
No
or something else entirely?
Nope covered above

Gary E

Veteran
Blue-Strip.jpg
Really? :smile:

OP
OP
BurningLegs

BurningLegs

Veteran
Thanks for the input, everyone.

The main culprits are the bolts that screw into my seat post clamp (one of THESE).

I can't use a nyloc nut there (no space between the two eyelets on the back of the clamp). What would be the best option here? I don't have any loctite and it seems quite expensive. @Gary E - is than an M5 bolt with a nyloc end to prevent it shaking loose??

The shake proof washer option seems good - will only cost a couple of quid, but how effective will it be?

Oh well. Can I dodge by stating that's a machine screw, not a bolt?
No?
OK, I concede.

Thanks for the input, everyone.

The main culprits are the bolts that screw into my seat post clamp (one of THESE).

I can't use a nyloc nut there (no space between the two eyelets on the back of the clamp). What would be the best option here? I don't have any loctite and it seems quite expensive. @Gary E - is than an M5 bolt with a nyloc end to prevent it shaking loose??

The shake proof washer option seems good - will only cost a couple of quid, but how effective will it be?

Use loctite. Get a little bottle and keep it for life. It is worth it.

The reason I say you shouldn't replace that bolt/screw with a Nyloc one is because that's a hi-tensile bolt and anything else will be mild steel and not up to the job. Besides, it is chromed, you'll find a hard time finding a chromed, hi-tensile Nylock screw.

Edit: I suppose your problem bolt is the one that's missing in the picture. Loctite is the solution. No need to get the branded threadlock (i.e. Loctite), get a generic one. They come in various strengths. Medium is good enough.

Last edited:

Gary E

Veteran
Oh well. Can I dodge by stating that's a machine screw, not a bolt?
No?
OK, I concede.
Don't make me Google again! :laugh:
To be fair, they are pretty rare. Much better to use a Stiff-Nut (loads of different types or Thread-Loc (also loads of different types for different applications).

Top Bottom