1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to stop RLj's!!

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by Alcdrew, 9 Aug 2007.

1. Alcdrew

Alcdrew Senior Member

No more red lights

Just shows you how far behind we are in the UK, I could never see anything like this happening here. The up roar from motorists would be insane.

2. Tetedelacourse

Tetedelacourse New Member

link not working for me.

3. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

To counter this frustration with frequent stops, officials with the city of Amsterdam have recently began an experiment where the timing of a series of traffic signals along a 2 km (approx 1 mile) stretch of road coming into the center of the city was set specifically for cyclists rather than automobiles.

The plan, outlined in the article here coordinates the signals for inbound bicycle traffic in the morning and outbound in the afternoon, and allowed the average speed of cyclists to increase to 10 mph/20 kmph, up from 15 kmph prior to the change. Interestingly, cars' speed remained unchanged. City officials plan to expand the project to other routes.

4. Tetedelacourse

5. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

But everyone is 'chilled out' in Amsterdam! ;)
    What about the red light district, though!

6. zimzum42

zimzum42 Legendary Member

I caertainly don't ride at an average speed. No cruising for me!

7. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Well, as a paltry average kind of rider, I think it would be nice to have. Imagine the increased impotent fury of drivers as they see the lights apparently change for the cyclists, so that they just sail through legally (as opposed to what a lot do now, which is sail through anyway...);)

8. Tetedelacourse

A country who takes its cyclists seriously and is mindful of their safety when desigining infrastructure! I'm off!

Good point from Dayvo though - some road users will always be more than happy to stop at red lights in Amsterdam!

9. Cab

Cab New Member

So it'll favour average paced cyclists... I dunno, I often seem to manage to get through all or most of the lights on green if I get through the first one on green. I don't think I'm much slower than the typical car when there are loads of lights and when there is traffic; this change is probably not going to help me.

But still, I think its a good idea. Not the best thing to do for cyclists, but a good thing to do anyway.

10. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

the day my commute averages 15kph is the day i hang up my lycra shorts for good.

11. PrettyboyTim

PrettyboyTim New Member

Looks at 12-13mph average

;)

12. Mister Paul

Mister Paul Legendary Member

It's a completely different culture of acceptance over there, and one which I regretfully doubt that we could ever reach here.