How to stop RLj's!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tetedelacourse

link not working for me.

Tynan

Veteran
To counter this frustration with frequent stops, officials with the city of Amsterdam have recently began an experiment where the timing of a series of traffic signals along a 2 km (approx 1 mile) stretch of road coming into the center of the city was set specifically for cyclists rather than automobiles.

The plan, outlined in the article here coordinates the signals for inbound bicycle traffic in the morning and outbound in the afternoon, and allowed the average speed of cyclists to increase to 10 mph/20 kmph, up from 15 kmph prior to the change. Interestingly, cars' speed remained unchanged. City officials plan to expand the project to other routes.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Well, as a paltry average kind of rider, I think it would be nice to have. Imagine the increased impotent fury of drivers as they see the lights apparently change for the cyclists, so that they just sail through legally (as opposed to what a lot do now, which is sail through anyway...);)

Tetedelacourse

A country who takes its cyclists seriously and is mindful of their safety when desigining infrastructure! I'm off!

Good point from Dayvo though - some road users will always be more than happy to stop at red lights in Amsterdam!

Cab

So it'll favour average paced cyclists... I dunno, I often seem to manage to get through all or most of the lights on green if I get through the first one on green. I don't think I'm much slower than the typical car when there are loads of lights and when there is traffic; this change is probably not going to help me.

But still, I think its a good idea. Not the best thing to do for cyclists, but a good thing to do anyway.

Top Bottom