How to train for distance without injury?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Toby_2009

Hi,

Iv been cycling on my GIANT MTB for about 6 weeks now and have so far done 40 miles as my longest ride. I want to train to ride longer and longer distances but am unsure about how to go about it, do i do lots of long rides where im taking it easy or shorter ones where im really pushing?

also, what sort of milage can i safely increment my total by each week?

Thanks,

Toby

jimboalee

Both.

Be sure to warm up properly before you blast it :wacko:

Do some hills too.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Mix it up a bit.

For what it's worth I rarely have time to train over long distances and most of my riding is 20-40 miles, some at high intensity. If I want to do a longer distance (100 miles or so) it doesn't seem too much of a stretch, comfort on the bike becomes more important. I've never given up on a long ride because of tiredness but I have cut short a tour due to a poor choice of saddle.

jpatterson

If you are serious about training slowly and getting fit steadily without getting fatigue or loss of motivation from burning out there is a very interesting method called FaCT that seems to be based on consistent steady rides. More info at Cycling Power Meters and scroll down for the FaCT post

bonj2

jpatterson said:
If you are serious about training slowly and getting fit steadily without getting fatigue or loss of motivation from burning out there is a very interesting method called FaCT that seems to be based on consistent steady rides. More info at Cycling Power Meters and scroll down for the FaCT post

I'm not sure, but that smells like a load of bollocks to me. This is trying to get faster cyclists to buy a HRM and not go above a certain figure, which is probably put about by not-so-fast cyclists in an attempt to get faster cyclists to slow down, in order that they won't be that much faster than them.

jimboalee

In the muscle building game, ( which is what cyclists do to make hills easier ) there is a method called 1RTF - One Rep To Failure.

As the name suggests, to build BIG bulk, a set of one rep is performed after a set of eight or so at 50% weight to warm up.

If done properly the muscles in use will HURT. The face will glow red and the bodybuilder will be struggling for breath.

In the bike world, climbing a hill on a long gear with the quads and calves HURTING is the same principle.

These types of routine should be followed by RICE. Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation.

You only have to go out for a quick half hour finishing on a steep hill and you will make the future a lot easier.
The more sessions you do, the easier the future gets.

montage

God Almighty
jimboalee said:
In the muscle building game, ( which is what cyclists do to make hills easier ) there is a method called 1RTF - One Rep To Failure.

As the name suggests, to build BIG bulk, a set of one rep is performed after a set of eight or so at 50% weight to warm up.

If done properly the muscles in use will HURT. The face will glow red and the bodybuilder will be struggling for breath.

In the bike world, climbing a hill on a long gear with the quads and calves HURTING is the same principle.

These types of routine should be followed by RICE. Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation.

You only have to go out for a quick half hour finishing on a steep hill and you will make the future a lot easier.
The more sessions you do, the easier the future gets.

Doing hills reps this early in the game is asking for injuries surely?

jimboalee

montage said:

Strange as it may seem, when you feel 'the burn', the muscle is being injured.

It is amazing how unlike a motorcar engine, a cyclist's engines get more powerful after a good thrashing.

Even at fifty, I take my engines for a thrashing during spring training. The Castleton Classic being the recipe for success.

montage

God Almighty
jimboalee said:
Strange as it may seem, when you feel 'the burn', the muscle is being injured.

It is amazing how unlike a motorcar engine, a cyclist's engines get more powerful after a good thrashing.

Even at fifty, I take my engines for a thrashing during spring training. The Castleton Classic being the recipe for success.

I am fairly familiar with how muscles build up ....but to go from doing one ride a week to doing hill reps?

Also jimbo, what do you reckon to running a three week training roter? i.e. first week is a hard week, sprint training, intervals, hill reps etc, second week is a recovary week where you just put the miles in, and third week is long distance week?

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Slippery slope there Tynan. If we continue that logic, the OP could end up like me;)

Personally, I find that once you've got 50 miles logged, you've encountered everything you're going to, except for running out of fuel and sleep. If you're rested and fuelled, "how far" is really just a mental game. "Too far" equally so.

Go easy. Put the miles in. Find some good friends who don't mind losing a day, or a night, or both to needless ventures. Have fun. Miles will take care of themselves.

jimboalee

montage said:
I am fairly familiar with how muscles build up ....but to go from doing one ride a week to doing hill reps?

Also jimbo, what do you reckon to running a three week training roter? i.e. first week is a hard week, sprint training, intervals, hill reps etc, second week is a recovary week where you just put the miles in, and third week is long distance week?

Use a 7 day routine.

Day 1 is a high mileage day. Day 2 is a recovery slow ride. Day 3 and 4 are medium distance days. Day 5 is the strength interval sessions and days 6 and 7 are days off.

After a few weeks, day 4 can be strength intervals day as well as day 5.

I try to arrange my commute to this routine, but it doesn't always work due to work commitments.
Monday, I ride an extended ride home.
Tuesday, I don't ride all the way, I drive some of the distance.
Weds and Thurs I take it easy and Friday, I blast the hills.

jpatterson

bonj said:
I'm not sure, but that smells like a load of bollocks to me. This is trying to get faster cyclists to buy a HRM and not go above a certain figure, which is probably put about by not-so-fast cyclists in an attempt to get faster cyclists to slow down, in order that they won't be that much faster than them.

No, its a tried and tested method but it DOESNT yield quick results. It does seem to provide sustainable results though without burnout or fatigue. The 90% of time spent riding at lbp-20 is actually quite fun and sociable as you can still talk while you are doing it. The 10% intensity work however is a different matter!

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
montage said:
no - although when you get to my age you've got to be more careful.

But hill selection is important. Most hills in England are bitty affairs, with crap tarmac and dodgy bends. Find the best laid, smoothest hill you can.

montage

God Almighty
dellzeqq said:
no - although when you get to my age you've got to be more careful.

But hill selection is important. Most hills in England are bitty affairs, with crap tarmac and dodgy bends. Find the best laid, smoothest hill you can.

because most are uphill? :wacko:

Top Bottom