How to train from standing start to 260km ride in two weeks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Whatever pace you thought you could do - set off at less than that and keep eating and drinking. Set a timer so every 15 or 20 mins you have a bite of something or a swig of energy drink.

I'd probably spend the time making sure your bike is ready for it and you have the right kit with you.

CXRAndy

Guru
160 miles. Cut it mentally into 4 slices.
Lets say your 40mile pace is 2hr15. Ride each section around 3 hours.

Eat and drink like others have said every 20 mins. Plain food for first half at least. Sugary carbs for later when you'll need it.

Long old day, good luck There is very little you can do to prepare now

Svendo

Guru
Like others have said be prepared for a slow survivable pace, if there’s a time cut consider aiming to just make it and use any extra in the last leg.
But seeing you currently have Covid, beware viral fatigue and be aware you may need to bail rather than do long term damage. Currently it’s not knowable how that will affect you in 2 weeks time however mild it might be now, and a 260km ride could reveal a condition that might not have been noticed otherwise.

If it were me I would be seriously considering switching to a shorter route, and being able to enjoy the ride more and cause less risk to my long term health. There will be other rides.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
That is a 'Glass nearly full' attitude; I'll go with the 'Glass nearly empty'...! :whistle:

I hope that I and the other naysayers are wrong, but I reckon it will be a difficult day out. And remember to take lights for the difficult night out to get to the finish...:laugh:
I remember watching what i thought was the tail end of the coast to coast in a day (140/150 miles) rolling into Whitby. I drove inland 8 miles or so to see my sister for a hour or two and driving back I was still passing the real (illuminated) tail end at 10pm at night. It must be quite soul destroying facing 1:3 Limber Hill at 10pm having started out at 7am! Fair play to the organisers as the finish was still manned at 11pm.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Like others have said be prepared for a slow survivable pace, if there’s a time cut consider aiming to just make it and use any extra in the last leg.
But seeing you currently have Covid, beware viral fatigue and be aware you may need to bail rather than do long term damage. Currently it’s not knowable how that will affect you in 2 weeks time however mild it might be now, and a 260km ride could reveal a condition that might not have been noticed otherwise.

If it were me I would be seriously considering switching to a shorter route, and being able to enjoy the ride more and cause less risk to my long term health. There will be other rides.
I agree. I once collapsed unconscious at the side of the road when trying to ride up a moderately steep hill (Heptonstall Rd - > Lee Wood). That was a few days after having a cold. Since then I have been a lot more cautious about recovering properly from illness before major exertion!

OP
OP
E

esvee

Thanks for all the feedback! Basically I am going to try and get in one long ride to build up a bit of stamina and apart from that just take it very steady, fuel constantly and, well, accept that I am going to go to some dark places both physically and mentally. I've never yet had to step off on an organised ride so I'm hoping that this won't be a first, but it's certainly going to be an enormous challenge.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Thanks for all the feedback! Basically I am going to try and get in one long ride to build up a bit of stamina and apart from that just take it very steady, fuel constantly and, well, accept that I am going to go to some dark places both physically and mentally. I've never yet had to step off on an organised ride so I'm hoping that this won't be a first, but it's certainly going to be an enormous challenge.
Please report back after the ride so we can see how it all went.

You might want a huge tub of this beforehand
1647599323908.png

and a tub of this for after
1647599376078.png

I would be concerned about doing so much so soon after a viral infection.
I made that mistake once . I started the ride feeling just fine. At the end, I fell off the bike and it took weeks to recover.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
I ran a marathon in 2016 when recovering from a chesty cough (which I'd had for two weeks, but which was getting much better). I finished in 3:23 but then carried on coughing for 5 or 6 weeks afterwards.

Top Bottom