How to wash bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Karcher OC3 for me. Superb bit of kit.

Bike thoroughly cleaned and waxed before Christmas. Been ridden in wet, dry and gritty/salty conditions. Literally just fill the compartment with 4L of water and hose it all off after riding. Then follow with the air blaster and it’s showroom condition again without physically even touching it!

Chain itself does need to be cleaned in addition to above, but we won’t get into that. ;)

SuperHans123

Formerly known as snertos999
I use one of those car wash mitts, much easier to get into the nooks and crannies.
Use 2 buckets, one for washing, one for rinsing and use a water bottle to rinse down, utilising said 2nd bucket.

I posted a comment about washing in a thread a couple of years ago wondering if we were all being taken to the cleaners by the cleaning companies.

When I used my bike for commuting in Aderdeen decades ago, I don`t think I ever cleaned it once in about ten years - I would scrape the gunk out of the cassette occasionally but that was it - no lubing the chain or anything like that. I cycled thousands of miles on that bike and it still had the original drive on it until some twat at work reversed over it. I rode it through the winter, on 23cc tyres, over gritted roads and everything so no washing the salt off

So, do I clean my bikes now - you bet I do lol

ADarkDraconis

Cardinal Member
I posted a comment about washing in a thread a couple of years ago wondering if we were all being taken to the cleaners by the cleaning companies.

When I used my bike for commuting in Aderdeen decades ago, I don`t think I ever cleaned it once in about ten years - I would scrape the gunk out of the cassette occasionally but that was it - no lubing the chain or anything like that. I cycled thousands of miles on that bike and it still had the original drive on it until some twat at work reversed over it. I rode it through the winter, on 23cc tyres, over gritted roads and everything so no washing the salt off

So, do I clean my bikes now - you bet I do lol
I guess it depends on where you ride and the manner of gunk in your area. Where I live they salt the roads all winter and salt will do damage if not taken care of, my brother's chain that sounded like a chorus of mice until recently cleaned will let you know. The trail I ride to work has a lot of mud that sticks to everything and you can hear the difference in clean mechanisms vs. gunked up ones. Also some roads near my house run along a park that is frequented by huge gaggles of geese in warmer months so things get quite... icky. Just personal preference, I suppose.

colly

Re member eR
basicaly my new bike since Christmas is muddy and wet from my last work experience at stables. I know most people wash their bike by using a garden hose but we don’t have a garden hose but I should wash it this weekend coming up because I need to. But how without a hose?

I suggest you get your butler on to the job.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I was going to say that but we have some very anti GCN posters on here at times.
Well, GCN are mostly daffodils who seem to decide beforehand what they want the conclusions to be! In the jetwash video, they use sealed bearings which look like they're surface-mount and they seem to leave the hose on a spray setting at all times. It's also in a fake BB without obvious drain holes or cable guide mounting holes, which are present on many bikes. Then when they do actually manage to find a weak spot and get some water inside, he dismisses it as not much, which ignores that you don't actually need to get much water in there to start corrosion, especially if the grease isn't one with suitable additives. The results would probably have been very different with unsealed wheel or headset bearings.

Use a jetwash if you like. It's your bike. I'd just keep it on spray and keep it clear of the bearings. Actually, who am I kidding? I'd use a lower-pressure sprayer to get 90% of the muck off and then hand-wash the remainder. It's not like it takes enough longer to matter.

Anyway, the silly GCN video:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzbpHGyFzc8

bpsmith

Veteran
Except that’s not what people say in here generally. They say DO NOT use a jet wash, full stop.

It’s actually common sense tbh! Do you honestly think that any of us blast the crap out of our bearings with a jet wash when we wash ours!?!

screenman

Legendary Member
@mjr sums it up perfectly. Use a jet wash on a low spray setting on 90% of the muck away from your bearings. Sense has prevailed ^_^

What is this setting you all talk about, just hold it further away and do not blast the area's you do not want too much water in. I would say no more water gets into my bearings when washing the bike than would riding it in the rain, most likely less.

Top Bottom